• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expired out-of-state inspection&registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brooklynny

What is the name of your state?I live in N.Y.. I recently purchasd a car from Texas over the internet and had the vehicle shipped. My bank financed the purchase. I have the car and the dealer was able to cash the bank check. My problem is that the bank has not sent me the title to the vehicle because the dealer has not sent me a contract of purchase to send to the bank. I am not able to get the vehicle registered or inspected in my state because of this. The vehicle has an expired Texas registration, inspection and tags from September '04. The dealer is not responding to my questions about the bill of sale. (He has already cashed the check). I'd like to know what kind of trouble I can get into by driving around in this vehicle. I've had it for a month already. The dealer is ignoring me regarding the contract. The bank is acting as if this whole transaction doesn't exist. They are not contacting me (for any payments or anything) and they are not contacting the dealer. Someone at the bank messed up the deal and now it's as if this deal didn't happen. They don't have a record of it in their computers. I just want to know how long I can go on with this expired reg. and inspection and what will happen if the police stop me? Anyone know?

Tayla

Go here:http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/
research the rules on title, registrations and laws of your state for vehicle and drivers license.
Go here -http://www.consumer.state.ny.us/
for information regarding the somewhat shady situation of no bill of sale

The car is not legal to drive at this time in any state. NO title, no reg, no insurance. What can happen? Hmm...Maximum fines, license revoked, Jacked up insurance rates , Just to name a few things the state of New York likes to do for disregarding its regulations.

B

brooklynny

Thanx Tayla....but....

N.Y. The DMV website doesn't answer any of my questions. They give an explanation of what to do if you are in another state and your NY reg. and inspec expire but not vice-versa. I did obtain insurance for the vehicle. I was told by the dealer that they have overnighted the bill-of-sale. But they have been saying that for 3 weeks. It's always an excuse (we sent it to the wrong address, and so on.). They are really getting monotonous. The only reason I haven't gotten really irate is because I do not have to pay a car note until the bank gets the bill-of-sale. (being selfish). But, enough already. What's the big deal with just sending me the paperwork? What can I do? They are totally giving me the runaround. And what's up with the bank? Did they just throw $30,000 down the drain? I just want the title to get the truck registered. Is there any other way I can get the title?

Tayla

Our business uses a service called: DHL Global where you pay them a fee and they will pick up the documents at the place of business and mail it back to you. They usually give a tracking number. Contact the dealership and make arrangements that way.
From the way the post originated its Unknown whether you are yet the owner of said vehichle. So how can you be insured? I find that incredible!
The websites that you were referred to were guides. Hint: Think phone.

B

brooklynny

Finally A Response...

Maybe The Dealership Has Been Reading These Posts!!! I Got The Paperwork I Was Waiting For Today. Thanx For Your Input. And Of Course I Used The Phone First. (when Was The Last Time You've Gotten Decent Info From A City Worker Over The Phone). The Web Was The Second Resort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">