• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to make repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Inspector

I live in New Jersey and was issued a ticket by the local police for 'Failure to make repairs'. I had my initial auto inspection 2 weeks ago and failed on emissions. They placed the good ole 'rejected' sticker in my window and said I had 45 days to repair and get the car reinspected. It just so happens that I left the paperwork that the inspection station gave me with my wife that day so she could call repair shops and get some rough quotes... viola, I get pulled over for it. With no paperwork to support my claim that it's been under 45 days, I was issued the ticket. If I set a court date and bring the paperwork in to prove that I'm within the 45 day window, will the judge likely let it go, or make me pay the ticket? The ticket is for $126 and the court clerk told me it's another $30 if I lose the case. Any suggestions?

H

hexeliebe

Unless there is a NJ law that I am not aware of that requires you to carry the paperwork with you in the car, then you should FIRST get the car fixed, take the new inspection AND original paperwork in to the court and state your case.

You shouldn't have much trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">