• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Remain at the scene- unintentional

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenny20

I was recently involved in an auto accident. I am 20 years old. I had my friends baby (6 months) in the car with me. I rear ended someone, because I couldnt stop (due to black ice). In a panic, I swirved to the right, looked over, saw no damage on their car and drove away (figuring no one saw me). I was scared, and did that out of an adrenaline reaction. I was about 15 minutes from home, and there was bad traffic. (The accident occured while slowing down at a red light). I later was charged with, failure to remain at the scene of an accident and carless driving. What are my chances? I have insurance, I was not intoxicated, and wasnt intentionally trying to break the law. Is there any way that my charges would be reduced? not counted maybe? What do they do in this type of scenario? I have to go to court, and was told to plead, not guilty, so I dont lose my licence. What is my best bet..?
Thanks

stephenk

"and wasnt intentionally trying to break the law"

yes you were the moment you looked back and made the decision to continue and not stop.

report the accident to your insurance company. expect a raise in premiums and a good chance of license suspension.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">