• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to report an accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arulam

What is the name of your state? NJ

My wife and i have a summon for "Failure to report an accident".

Both parties involved in the accident agreed to deal with the accident at later point.Other party filed a complaint so we have received a summons for failure to report an accident.Should we pleed guily in court or not guily?Please advice.

As the error in the accident was in my wife side so our insurance accepted to pay the claim

Thanks in advance

S

seniorjudge

Did both of you get charged?

In any event, if you fail to report an accident, it is usually under the financial responsibility laws that you get in trouble.

Are you saying that you got a criminal summons to go to court for not reporting an accident?

If so, they are talking about hit and run, aren't they?

In other words, give us more facts.

arulam

failure to report an accident

Thanks..yes you are right My wife had got another summon for leaving the scene which is not true.we are thinking not to plead guilty for that.

please advice

teflon_jones

Regardless of what you agreed to at the scene, the other party apparently went against this and filed it with the police. This shows that you left the scene of the accident, again regardless of your oral agreement with the other party because there was no proof of this. You can go to court with this and it'll become a case of your word against the other person. The key factor in this is the amount of damage to the vehicles, and what your state laws require. There's usually a minimum damage amount before you're required for file an accident with police. If you were over this limit, then you're at fault (or your wife) since you didn't report the accident, but the other person did. I realize there's really no proof of anything except that the other person filed the police report, but again, it comes down to your word against theirs. So, hopefully you'll get a judge that'll believe you! :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">