• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Yield Right of Way Left Turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

allen223

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?GA
My husband was in the middle of the intersection preparing to make a left hand turn when he realized that the light was already yellow. He waited for the oncoming lanes of traffic to slow down to a stop and then preceded to complete his left hand turn when he realized that their was a vehicle that was not going to stop and therefore my husband immediately stopped in the middle of his turn (light is red at this time), which would have allowed the oncoming vehicle adequate room in order to swerve around him but instead he plowed head on into my husband.
The officer gave my husband the ticket because he did not see the other vehicle actually run the red light but did tell us that he was making a right hand turn on the same yellow light (traveling the opposite direction as my husband) and after he had completed his turn is when he heard the crash.
The other driver admitted to my husband that he was not paying attention but did not say a word to the officer. The officer did not even question the other driver and stopped my husband halfway through to find out where his insurance card was because their computers were down and did not finish getting the details of what had happened.

teflon_jones

It's generally illegal to enter an intersection to make a turn until you actually make the turn. Of course, general practice is to enter the intersection and sit in the middle of it while you're waiting to make the turn. Here in MA, it's illegal to do this. I'm not sure about your state. So, based on what you said, and assuming the law is the same, your husband was in fact at fault. But, this is assuming the law is the same. Check into it!

A

allen223

Unsure of GA Law

GA. Does anyone know for sure if this is illegal in my state?

stephenk

if your husband started his left turn on a yellow light he will most likely be found at fault. if he started his turn on a red, how far from the intersection was the other car when hubby started his turn?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">