• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to yield right of way results in collision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teewinot

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nebraska

Hi all,

I was headed out on my lunch break Tuesday and was going to turn left onto an access road that parallels the main road. I did not have a stop sign - only the access road did. The main road has stoplights, and it runs north/south (as does the access road). The road I was on runs east/west.

As I said, I was on the east/west road turning left onto the access road. I failed to see another driver that was turning left from the main road onto the road I was on. We collided at the intersection of the east/west road and the intersection. His car appears to have only a minor dent on the front driver side, as well as perhaps a bent or broken headlight.

My car spun about 45 degrees to the left upon impact and ran up a small embankment off the side of the road. The front passenger side of my car is completely smashed in from wheel well to the chevy symbol on the hood.

After the incident, I went with the other driver into a nearby restaurant and called the police. The officer surveyed the scene, filed a report and I was issued a citation for failure to yield the right of way.

I don't intend on disputing this charge in court, as I clearly did not see the other vehicle until I was right up on him and I did not wait for him to pass (obviously).

My court date is set for February 8. This was my very first auto accident and I've filed the claim with my insurance (I have full coverage by the way). I am just wondering what I will be facing in the coming weeks and months.

Does anyone know what a first-time accident victim, who recieved a citation for being at fault, would face in the court appearance? I know it's not a trial, I am just a little worried about what the consequences might be. I was not given the opportunity to waive the court date, the officer said that I have to be there. I am not sure what I'll be facing - a fine, revocation of my license or what. Like I've said, this was my first ever accident and I've had a clean record my entire life. What could happen?

Also, neither myself or the other driver were injured in this, he appeared perfectly healthy and I only hit my knee but it was only a little bit sore. I also said that I only caused a dent on the front driver corner of his vehicle. Do you think, given those circumstances, that I may be facing any legal action from the other driver? He was fine, and was able to drive his car off. I, however was not. Does it sound like (aside from my failure to yield) he would be able to sue? Can he sue if my insurance pays for his vehicle repairs (which were minor) and he was obviously unharmed by this accident? I know it's impossible to read a person's mind, but I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on this.

I'm sorry that this is so long-winded and full of questions. I am a first timer at this (unfortunately) and am SO worried. Please help, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">