• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fair Settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ssiperko

What is the name of your state? Illinois.
I was involved in a auto accident 2/02 in which the other party was found to be at fault by the officer at the scene. The other party also admitted to being at fault at the scene and the hospital. The details are as follows. I was headed west bound on a two lane roadway coming to a two way stop (which is known to be a bad intersection) that is clearly posted that cross traffic (me) does not stop. As I neared the intersection a car pulled into my lane and the driver had a confused look as to the direction he was going to go (either south or west). I had only enough time to try and swerve to the left (more like a reflex) to avoid a direct hit into his door. I hit his drivers frt then spun my pass rear into him before coming to a stop. I was taken to the er suffering from servere chest pain (and airbag burnt wrist) from the impact. I was traveling approx 50 to 55mph (downhill in 50mph zone) and had zero chance to hit the brakes, in other words full impact at that speed. Witnesses at the scene verify that the other party was at fault. I has severe chest pain and bruising on the hips from the seatbelts. The pain in my chest would not allow me to breathe deep, cough, laugh or even move my upper body easily for approx 45 days from the accident without either strong pain or major discomfort. My job requires me to bend, sit, stand and walk frequently and I had a cold for approx two weeks during the period I am speaking of. My doctor simply wrote medication prescriptions to ease the pain (dulled it mostly) which made me feel "out of it" while taking them. I had no marital relations with my wife for this same period of time and my kids are still scared to drive near the intersection (very near my home) that the accident occured. My 2001 vehicle was a total loss (as I believe was the other car) and that issue was resolved to my satisfaction. I was offered a settlement today of $3475.00 for my loss of wages and pain/suffering. I am offended by this offer. I have not sought legal counsel but have been informed by a lawyer (client of mine) that my case seems easily worth quite a bit more considering the admission and witnesses (easily 5) at the scene and the location. I will add that approx twenty months ago I had a broken collar bone that was not as painful when it happened as the pain I endured twenty five days after the above mentioned accident! Sorry for the length.
Thoughts?
Thank you in advance -- SS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">