• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

falsley named in a lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Liv2transcribe

What is the name of your state? Ohio. 2 years ago, I sold a car. I went with the person who bought the car to the title office and had the title transferred into the new owner's name on August 17, 2002. On October 12, 2002 the new owner of the car was involved in an accident where he hit a person in that person's front yard. Almost one week ago, I was served papers stating that I was the owner of the car and that I am being sued for over $1 million dollars. I knew the papers were coming because we were in the process of refinancing our home and the loan officer had called the day before and said that there had been a lean put on our home. Needless to say, the loan has not gone through. We are facing legal fees, which we cannot afford at this time. I have a copy of the paperwork from the title office showing that the title transferred out of my name on 8/17/02. Do I have a case against the attorney who put the lean on my house, ruined our credit, and caused major mental anguish all because he was too lazy to call the title office to find out who's name the title was in? :confused:

You Are Guilty

There's no law against laziness in this country. Good thing too, or else ~90% of the people would be in jail.

Did they let you out of the case when you showed proof of title transfer?

L

Liv2transcribe

I tried to contact the attorney who filed the suit to ask him what I should do and he said to give it to my insurance company. I meeting with an attorney in the morning.

lwpat

They cannot just put a lein on your house without filing in court, properly notifying you and then having a hearing. You are doint the right thing by contacting your won attorney. You also need to notify your insurance company.

It really doesn't matter if you have a case against the attorney or not because no other attorney will take the case. You could file in small claims but the judge will just side with the attorney. Good luck.

rmet4nzkx

When you consult the attorney tomorrow ask that question then as they will have more information than you are able to provide here and be better able to advise you of your options and possible settlements to resolve the error, be sure to bring the transfer documents also check with the DMV to be sure the actual transfer went through, 2 years is not like it happened yesterday, however, this lawsuit may have sat around for sometime without your knowledge and since the accident accured less than 2 months after the transfer it is possible the transfer wasn't recorded at the time of the accident.

I had a similar experience where I made the sale in the parking lot of the DMV went inside and filed the transfer, several months later, there were parking tickets and later the car was totaled and still got the notices, so it is important to have the facts, things may not be as they seem and to take care of any notice on vehicles sold and transfered. Many times the new owner delays registering the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">