• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

at fault accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phillca

What is the name of your state? washington
I was involved in an accident on 8/31/01,and given a ticket for failure to yeild the right of way,and no ins. The speed limit on this road was 35 mph. At the time of impact I was at a complete stop, she skid for about 40 ft. before the impact, totaling her moms car. The snohomish county sherriffs were called to the seen by her. It wasn't until later when I found out that she worked as a dispatcher for the snohomish county sherriffs and her husband apparently worked for either the sno. county sherriff or the sno. county firedepartment. I feel like I didn't get a fair investigation. A lot of things didn't add up, like the fact that te sherriff just let me drive away, even though I didn't have ins. I never saw them take any pictures of the seen,they never measured any skid marks to determine the speed of travel.I know she was traveling atleast 50 mph,15 mph over the speed limit. If I could prove that can they find her at fault,or atleast parcially at fault? Now a little over a year later I am being sued by her ins. company for $14,000. Is there anything I can do to get the case re-investigated by a differant law enforcement agency?(one more thing I forgot that seemed sorta fishy,they mailed me my failure to yeild the right of way ticket. Is that normal?

racer72

You provide no information that could help you. Because there was no injury or death, there is no requirement to measure skid marks. Her speed in irrelavant, it doesn't matter if they are going 50 mph over the speed limit, you still have to yield. If you had insurance, you would not be in the pickle you are in. I would suggest you hire an attorney asap.

P

phillca

I know I should've had ins. normally I always do. I just happen to be in between purchasing a truck and changing ins. companys. In my business I often work pretty much on the otherside of the world from where I conduct my day to day business. Time was definately a factor. Still that is no excuse and I know this, but I still don't feel that my own negligence of not being insured at the time of the accident should in any way automatically make me at fault. There are a few details that I failed to mention in my original thread. Say that the other driver was going fifteen mph over the posted speed limit around a corner that could be safe if you were going the posted speed limit..but potentially dangerous to oncoming traffic trying to turn left... If the driver going around the corner was speeding excessively,wouldn't that be considered reckless driving or something? I appreciate your input, I'm just going over any possibility of hope. Thanks

M

madforce

Hire a lawyer and work on the fact that she was driving at an unsafe speed and thus not able to avoid an accident. You yield, saw it was safe to go, and then ZOOM Ms. Speed racer comes out of nowhere and hits you.

Also, it seems very fishy that she and her husband work for the county. A good lawyer can win this for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">