• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At Fault Accident - Settling outside of Insurance but Other Driver not Communicating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rngr06

I'm in California. I had an accident where I was trying to go straight through a 2 way stop sign. This happened about 3-4 weeks ago now. The other non-stop intersecting street was backed-up on a red light. I tried to inch forward to look for on coming cars, out of no where this car kept driving straight through the street even though i was stopped, sticking out slightly into their lanes. Driver eventually hits me. Most damage was to my car while their car only sustained very minor scuffs and scratches to just small portion of their front bumper. The front plastic decal also chipped a little bit. They suggested to settle it outside of insurance since the driver did not have much damage. The driver was driver the sister's car.

The sister calls me to tell me that she wants to go to a small local shop to get an estimate of the damages. She told me the name of the shop, and curious that i am, i called to see how much it cost to repaint the bumper. They said it would be $250 if it was the entire front bumper. So during the last 3-4 weeks, the sister calls me to tell me that she plans to take the car into the shop "this week" to get the estimate. Still to date, she still has not gotten the estimate. I'm just sitting here waiting for her to call back with the estimate. I'm actually kind of nervous because i don't know what has happened since 3-4 wks ago. Her car could have more damages. I did take pictures, but i hope it doesn't come to that. What should I do? I'm just in the no man's land right now waiting and she has full control of the situation. Not sure what to do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm in California. I had an accident where I was trying to go straight through a 2 way stop sign. This happened about 3-4 weeks ago now. The other non-stop intersecting street was backed-up on a red light. I tried to inch forward to look for on coming cars, out of no where this car kept driving straight through the street even though i was stopped, sticking out slightly into their lanes. Driver eventually hits me. Most damage was to my car while their car only sustained very minor scuffs and scratches to just small portion of their front bumper. The front plastic decal also chipped a little bit. They suggested to settle it outside of insurance since the driver did not have much damage. The driver was driver the sister's car.

The sister calls me to tell me that she wants to go to a small local shop to get an estimate of the damages. She told me the name of the shop, and curious that i am, i called to see how much it cost to repaint the bumper. They said it would be $250 if it was the entire front bumper. So during the last 3-4 weeks, the sister calls me to tell me that she plans to take the car into the shop "this week" to get the estimate. Still to date, she still has not gotten the estimate. I'm just sitting here waiting for her to call back with the estimate. I'm actually kind of nervous because i don't know what has happened since 3-4 wks ago. Her car could have more damages. I did take pictures, but i hope it doesn't come to that. What should I do? I'm just in the no man's land right now waiting and she has full control of the situation. Not sure what to do.
Why haven't you reported this to your insurance company? Your policy requires that you notify them of any liability exposure they may have.

rngr06

when the driver and sister told me they suggested to handle outside of insurance, i never contacted them. I'm sure there's a level of protection on my part if i reach out to my insurance to settle. I know this is me guessing how much it should cost to repair their car, but i'm guessing it should be under $500. They also said since it's not a big accident, it'd save me the trouble of going through insurance. Just not sure what to do now, just so i can move on from this and not have to worry about it until they call.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sounds like the other party is jerking you around. You need to get your insurance involved to cover yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">