• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At fault driver is suing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nonizondi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
I was involved in an accident where a motorcycle hit me from the back. I had no idea and was notified by a police call the next day. The owner of the car I was driving was a passenger with me.I made a statement and recieved a ticket which was dismissed because the other driver never showed up to court. His witness claims defers from what he made in the police statement so his insurance agreed to pay a percentage of my damage. some weeks later he serves me a lawsuit for damages he sustained. His accusation on the lawsuit was also different from what he said and what his witness had claimed. I met with an attorney who doesn't seem to provide much guidance on how to tackle this situation....any ideas

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
I was involved in an accident where a motorcycle hit me from the back. I had no idea and was notified by a police call the next day. The owner of the car I was driving was a passenger with me.I made a statement and recieved a ticket which was dismissed because the other driver never showed up to court. His witness claims defers from what he made in the police statement so his insurance agreed to pay a percentage of my damage. some weeks later he serves me a lawsuit for damages he sustained. His accusation on the lawsuit was also different from what he said and what his witness had claimed. I met with an attorney who doesn't seem to provide much guidance on how to tackle this situation....any ideas
You need to turn it over to your insurance company and let them handle it.

adjusterjack

The owner of the car I was driving was a passenger with me.
Actually, you need to turn this over to the car owner's insurance company as you are defined as an "insured" on the owner's policy since you were driving with his permission.

That insurance company owes you a defense.

Though it would be a good idea to report the lawsuit to your own insurance company as a back up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">