• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At Fault Person Not Cooperating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcorton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

On 10-5-11 I was involved in an accident when someone made a left turn in front of me. He was cited for failing to yield right of way. He is refusing to return phone calls by his insurance company to get his statement. Even though they have all the info as to what's happening, they refuse to do anything until they talk to him. This leaves us without a vehicle. We both have health issues which leaves us with very little money to spend. We can't afford to rent a car, hire a lawyer etc. As I work in various towns I haven't been able to work at all. Is there anything we can do to speed up the process so we can get a settlement and a car?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can have your insurance handle the matter.

Or you can sue the other driver.

tranquility

You and the other driver (and his insurance company) are adversaries. They have no legal duty to cooperate other than the driver responsibilities under the law. (And, some insurance regulations to follow for the insurance company.)

The other driver is just protecting his own interests & who can blame him for that?

Its just a waiting game at this point for you ; don't worry, the passage of time will not alter the facts of your case.

You can talk to your insurance company & hire an attny if you wish.

I would just sit and wait...give it 3 months

ecmst12

The other driver is NOT protecting his interests by refusing to return calls from HIS insurance company. He is being an idiot.

Suing the driver will likely not speed up the process, though it's possible that getting served would inspire him to call his insurance company back. But it's only been 10 days, I think running to court would be premature at this time.

Do you have collision coverage or rental coverage on your own insurance policy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">