• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At fault Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lilc22193

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was traveling home today in a light drizzle on a two lane road. I was approaching a green light that had a left turn lane that had a red light and there was a truck in front of me. We were traveling in the left lane at 45 mph(posted speed). About 100 feet before the light, a person from the right lane decides they want to make a left turn in the left turn lane. The person crosses our lane of traffic and realizes there are to many cars in the turn lane for their car to fit, so the person STOPS in our lane with they're left turn signal on (at a green light, the turn light was red) Luckily everone stopped and nothing happened, but we sat there and waited for the car to unblock traffic. When I came home and told my mother, she said that if I wouldn't have been able to stop that it would have been my fault for rear ending the truck in front of me. Would it have been my fault or the person that had cut us off and was blocking traffic at a green light?

racer72

When on the road, it is your responsibility to avoid all hazards that may pop up in front of you. To do so may require driving at less than the posted speed limit or leaving more room between you and the vehicle in front of you. In the situation you described, the vehicle that stopped may have contributed to the accident but was not the cause. You not stopping to avoid a potential hazard would have been considered the cause.

L

lilc22193

I guess I did everything right, cause i didn't get into an accident. It just doesn't seem right that someone can so blatantly do something wrong and not be at fault. But then again, life isn't fair..:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">