• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faulty brake lights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

axiom

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I was involved in a rush hour freeway accident.
Traffic in my lane slowed to almost a stop due to congestion and to construction with very confusing off ramps.
I was in a small, compact car and was following a full size truck. I had no way of seeing anyone but him. He had no brake lights.
Due to his lack of brake lights and his sudden stop; I didn't think I could avoid hitting him, so I tried to get over to the next lane (I had just checked to make sure all was clear as I was planning a lane change) I almost made it. I just clipped his rear drivers side. Both cars were still driveable.
Due to the construction, I had to get off the freeway to pull over. I called to report the accident. Apparently he just kept going and never called in.
I was cited for unsafe lane change.
Doesn't the fact that he had no brake lights to signal that he was stopping and the fact that he left the scene of the accident make him culpable at all?

Incidentally, the officer called me a couple of weeks after the accident to ask me some questions as she had lost all her notes and had not filed a report yet. I answered her questions - but should I have? Could that have helped me at all?

Is this worth trying to fight or should I just pay the ticket and take the likely insurance rate increase?

Shay-Pari'e

If you were the only person to report this, and the other party just drove off, how did you get cited for an unsafe lane change? Your post makes no sense.

--PARIDISE-- said:
If you were the only person to report this, and the other party just drove off, how did you get cited for an unsafe lane change? Your post makes no sense.
This should be interesting.

A

axiom

I have not done any research yet - but the officer said something to the effect that when there is an accident she has no choice but to write out a citation. It didn't seem right to me - that's why I posted my question. But I can guarantee that the other driver did not stop or call in. I did and I have a ticket to show for it. If I had it to do over again, I would have just kept driving too, but I was trying to do the right thing at the time.

Thanks for the helpful replies :rolleyes:

racer72

You should have run into the truck. You had a valid reason. But it was your negligence that resulted in the accident. Too bad, too sad, pay the ticket.

BlondeIntel

axiom said:
If I had it to do over again, I would have just kept driving too, but I was trying to do the right thing at the time.
You did do the right thing when you reported the accident. In some states, your insurance goes up and your license can be suspended for failure to report an accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">