• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faulty ladder (and possible class action) suit, anyone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Happy Christman

My father, a senior citizen in Arkansas, had a fall recently from a Davidson metal ladder while working on his front porch. I wasn't a witness, but apparently a leg of the ladder crimped under stress, causing it to collasapse while he stood on a run near the top. The fall broke his arm and wrist as well as injuring his back (his spine's apparently okay, but he was bed ridden for a couple of days).

The local lawyers he's contacted have passed, telling him a suit would bring too little money to bother with. If only to warn others climbing the same ladders as I write, we think there might be more to the idea.

I've searched Web, seeking similar incidents, but so far, found little, save a prior recall of Davidson's attic ladders (a different, wooden model by the same manufacturer). Has anyone hear of anything similar (i.e. A class action suit)?

Surely he's at least entitled to compensation for his medical bills?

Any/all constructive insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ellencee

Happy Christman
Are you asking if a class action lawsuit representing the interests of senior citizens who set-up Davidson metal ladders, climbed to the near the top of the ladder, stood on a rung at that height, and attempted a work project while alone and without any safe-guard such as another person's assistance, exists or is feasible?

By the way, welcome to the world of aging parents. :)
EC

K

knotcops

I seriously doubt that the leg of the ladder just collapsed. Having been in construction in the past and climbed many a ladder, more than likely the ladder had a slight twist in it from having "walked" just a little. Then, when your father climbed near the top, the ladder twisted some more and the leg failed. Been there, done that!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">