• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Feel like I'm being duped by the lawyer(auto accident)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shady_man

I am a 22 y/o male living in southern Michigan. A little over a Year ago I was involved in a car accident that the opposite party was at fault. In the car accident I suffered a fractured skull, from approximately 1 inch from my hairline to my eyesocket( a total of approximately 2 1/2 inches), then across the bridge of my nose(the bone part)from that eye socket to my opposite eye socket. I have had a total of 2 surgeries, 18 stiches and a scar on my face that is approximately 2 inches long, oh and not to forget the metal plate that was use to close the open head injury. I still have one more surgery to look forward to and that is to straighten out my nose to aleviate the pressure to the bridge of my nose. Oh might I also mention the 2 months of therapy on my knee from a torn acl and a month of therapy to get rid of nightmares.
Now that I got all the graphic parts out of the way I shall continue on with the questions. I am continually talking to my lawyer on this, approximately once every 2 weeks we have a conversation. In that conversation I keep on bringing up the amount of money that I wish to go for, he keeps on telling me that the most he believes is 40,000-50,000 dollars. The thing is though, I know people who have been in car accidents and come out with a lot more money and a lot less surgery and scars(one has gotten 73,000 for a small scar on the back of her arm, and another friend has gotten 150,000 for 48 stiches in his leg). Now my lawyer keeps telling me that my friends are lying to me and that the probability is that I will most likely get the amount he said. My question: Am I being duped? Should I consult with another lawyer or just wait it out and run it into trial? or should I just stick with the 40-50,000 dollars that he says I should get? Anyways enough with this novel, you can respond to this on the forum or email me at [email protected] . Thank you for your time And if anyone knows anything about an amount that someone has gotten for any type of minor injury, please post it or email me with it.

HomeGuru

Many times clients like to tell people that they got a settlement of say $100K (to make it sound big and interesting) but in actuality got less. True if you add the $50K medical to the $50 pain and suffering, the total comes to $100K but that is not the actual dollars the client gets. In addition, the law firm that took the case on contingency gets a percentage so the actual cash dolars in pocket in this example is way less than $50K.

You may be comparing apples and oranges. Be sure that the amount you are seeking is only for pain and suffering if the other side agrees to pay for all you past, present AND future medical bills. Otherwise you must add in costs of future medical treatment etc. to your settlement.

C

cjandkdsmom

usually consultations are free so if i were you i'd for sure go to another attorney for a second opinion. and it might help to use an attorney who deals in auto accidents only. My mother in-law was rear ended and had to have a back surgery she received 85,000. she works around attorneys and you usually get missed wages, at least your medical bills times3, and pain and suffering. the only reason she only received 85,000 was because that was the max the ins. would pay and she did not take them to court.
i also have a friend who was in an auto accident and only recieved physical therapy and ended up with 25,000 left after attorney fees. You are the one that was hurt and had to suffer you need to make sure your being compensated for it even if it means using a different attorney. this is also from the stat of arkansas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">