• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony for lying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spawn_x

What is the name of your state? CA

Girlfriend's dad was side swiped by another car. After he showed them the estimate they refused to pay since it was too high and said to go through the insurance.

When he made a claim they are said that HE hit THEM.

He hired a lawyer who mentioned something about lying being a felony and them losing their license, but was unable to find anything on that.

How true is that? I sort of call BS on it because people get into accidents and have different versions of it all the time and it goes to court, and have never heard of anyone getting a felony on the record if they lose (they lose so their version wasn't correct which means they lied).

Also, he has witnesses of the father of the driver coming to his workplace offering him money to the accident, so that will help prove that he is lying.

Opinions? :cool:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

spawn_x said:
What is the name of your state? CA

He hired a lawyer who mentioned something about lying being a felony and them losing their license, but was unable to find anything on that.

MY RESPONSE: What the hell is the "father" talking about? Obviously, somebody has misunderstood something!

How true is that? I sort of call BS on it

MY RESPONSE: "I call", Tag ....... you're it!

because people get into accidents and have different versions of it all the time and it goes to court, and have never heard of anyone getting a felony on the record if they lose (they lose so their version wasn't correct which means they lied).

MY RESPONSE: Your assessment here is correct.

Also, he has witnesses of the father of the driver coming to his workplace offering him money to the accident, so that will help prove that he is lying.

MY RESPONSE: Okay, have "father" file a lawsuit.

IAAL

spawn_x

The lawyer is his PI lawyer who is handling the case. Her dad is not the one who brought up the idea of "lying being a felony", the lawyer did.

Lawsuit is already filed, court date is a couple months from now.

My question: is there such thing as a felony for lying about an accident? I would assume not since it looks like it happens daily and I have yet to hear of anyone get charged with a felony, but since the lawyer is the one who mentioned it, thought they know better.

Does the lawyer need to retake their BAR exam or is what they are saying true? :cool:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

spawn_x said:
The lawyer is his PI lawyer who is handling the case. Her dad is not the one who brought up the idea of "lying being a felony", the lawyer did.

Lawsuit is already filed, court date is a couple months from now.

My question: is there such thing as a felony for lying about an accident? I would assume not since it looks like it happens daily and I have yet to hear of anyone get charged with a felony, but since the lawyer is the one who mentioned it, thought they know better.

Does the lawyer need to retake their BAR exam or is what they are saying true? :cool:

My response:

Okay, so this is in litigation as we speak. So, the attorney is talking about "perjured testimony".

Believe me, unless the "perjured" testimony is SO incontrovertibly blatant; e.g., "the sun never shines", then nothing is going to happen. Judges know that people lie, both in pleadings and on the witness stand. It's an extreme long shot, to say the least, that anyone could prove perjury versus "their view of the truth." And then, to have a judge take action would be highly unusual.

IAAL

T

Tamera Crumlich

IAAL

Is it a charable offense to lie about and hide the fact that you have insurance when a accident is your fault

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Tamera Crumlich said:
IAAL

Is it a charable offense to lie about and hide the fact that you have insurance when a accident is your fault

My response:

No, because you're not under oath at that time. However, that's not to say that a liar will get away with the misdemeanor of failing to carry insurance. Once the "lie" is discovered, an amended citation will be issued, and the DMV will also levy it's own fines, including license suspension.

A lie will only buy you a little time. But, again, when the lie is discovered and an amended citation is issued, then you'll be in more trouble with the judge for having lied to the police in the first place!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">