• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fender Bender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

boblac

What is the name of your state? California
Daughter backed up into a residential street and was stopped 90-degrees to the across-the-street neighbor's driveway. Neighbor backed out of his driveway and backed into the left, driver-side door of our car. Daughter was not moving at the time. Neighbor says it's her fault. Of course, I'll let the insurance companies handle it...but I believe the fault is the neighbor's. Tell me I'm right!

HomeGuru

boblac said:
What is the name of your state? California
Daughter backed up into a residential street and was stopped 90-degrees to the across-the-street neighbor's driveway. Neighbor backed out of his driveway and backed into the left, driver-side door of our car. Daughter was not moving at the time. Neighbor says it's her fault. Of course, I'll let the insurance companies handle it...but I believe the fault is the neighbor's. Tell me I'm right!
**A: why was your daughter stopped and did she not see the neighbor's car?

B

boblac

She had stopped as she shifted from reverse to drive. The neighbor's driveway is sloped down, so he has to back up a slight hill to get out. Where my daughter stopped is directly 90-degrees to his driveway. She saw him coming, honked the horn, but the old guy didn't hear and continued to back up until the CRASH.

racer72

The neighbor is at fault. I believe the reason she was stopped in the road is irrelevent, when anyone is backing out of a driveway, it is their responsibility to insure the roadway is clear of traffic before backing onto the roadway.

spawn_x

racer is correct. the reason she stopped has nothing to do with liability, it is his fault since he is the one backing up.

did he not see her car when backing up???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">