• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fender bender (literally) in parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I'm hoping someone can help put my mind at ease. There was a lawn maintenance vehicle parked behind my truck in my work parking lot. I thought I could get around it, but it was closer than I thought and I hit his bumper. Totally my fault. Since I was backing out I was obviously moving very slowly and it didn't do any damage to my truck at all, the other vehicle just had a dent in his bumper (I think from my trailer hitch). We exchanged info but there was no police report or anything. I called and left a message for my insurance agent late Friday but haven't heard back from her yet. Will my insurance company handle everything? Is there anything additional that I need to do to protect my interests (I understand that it's my fault and I'm not trying to get out of anything, but there are also a lot of unscrupulous people in the world today). There was no one in the other truck so injury to the other party isn't a problem. However, one of the passengers in my vehicle said that it aggravated a pre-existing back condition she had. I provided her with my insurance info as well. Any info anyone can give me to insure that I handle this correctly would be greatly appreciated.

arrown8606t said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I'm hoping someone can help put my mind at ease. There was a lawn maintenance vehicle parked behind my truck in my work parking lot. I thought I could get around it, but it was closer than I thought and I hit his bumper. Totally my fault. Since I was backing out I was obviously moving very slowly and it didn't do any damage to my truck at all, the other vehicle just had a dent in his bumper (I think from my trailer hitch). We exchanged info but there was no police report or anything. I called and left a message for my insurance agent late Friday but haven't heard back from her yet. Will my insurance company handle everything? Is there anything additional that I need to do to protect my interests (I understand that it's my fault and I'm not trying to get out of anything, but there are also a lot of unscrupulous people in the world today). There was no one in the other truck so injury to the other party isn't a problem. However, one of the passengers in my vehicle said that it aggravated a pre-existing back condition she had. I provided her with my insurance info as well. Any info anyone can give me to insure that I handle this correctly would be greatly appreciated.
Get ready to be sued by the passenger who claimed a tap while backing up re-injured her back condition.

I was really looking for advice on wether or not I handled things correctly, but lets go with your comment for a moment. Wouldn't she be required to prove her "injury"? From her own admittance, she regularly sees a chiropracter and he is the one she saw for the pre-existing condition she "aggravated". Wouldn't she have to get something from a "real" doctor? I really don't think that she intends to sue, but who knows if the chiropracter will convince her that a significant injury occurred or not. She said nothing after the accident by the way and even went to lunch directly afterwards with a friend of mine from the office, so it wasn't as though she immediately claimed to be hurt. What can I do to get my ducks in a row? Also, back to my original question, did I handle this correctly or there something additional I need to do?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">