• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing a claim for bad gas damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uniccco

What is the name of your state? north carolina I have insurance with progressive insurance i put some bad gas in my 2004 expedition and they had to repair 1400.00 dallars worth of damage to the fuel lines the tank and fuel pump and filters can i file this on my inurance

S

seniorjudge

uniccco said:
What is the name of your state? north carolina I have insurance with progressive insurance i put some bad gas in my 2004 expedition and they had to repair 1400.00 dallars worth of damage to the fuel lines the tank and fuel pump and filters can i file this on my inurance
How will you prove all these allegations if it gets to court?

JETX

uniccco said:
can i file this on my inurance
Of course you can file a claim on your insurance. The insurance adjuster will investigate and determine the validity of your claim.

You Are Guilty

Report it to the gas station. They also have claims reps who will investigate and if it's legit, they'll pay up. (Of course, it's only "legit" for about 1% of the claimsfiled, but you never know).

Lynx 36

uniccco said:
You can turn a claim in but it will be denied. Mechanical issues aren't covered.

S

seniorjudge

Lynx 36 said:
You can turn a claim in but it will be denied. Mechanical issues aren't covered.
Bad gas cases are pretty common in SCC, complete with jars of the smelly stuff.

It is danged near impossible to prove that it was this gas that caused this problem.

I understand that there is certainly bad gas out there...I've gotten it myself. It's just impossible to prove where you got it and what kind of damage it caused.

You Are Guilty

seniorjudge said:
Bad gas cases are pretty common in SCC, complete with jars of the smelly stuff.

It is danged near impossible to prove that it was this gas that caused this problem.

I understand that there is certainly bad gas out there...I've gotten it myself. It's just impossible to prove where you got it and what kind of damage it caused.
No, not impossible, just very difficult unless you know what discovery to request. :)

You'd actually be surprised at how many people try to blame the gas for all their car's problems :rolleyes:

MandyD

It isn't too hard to prove at all, as long as you still have some of that gas. This happened to me last year and the trouble began within minutes of filling my Jeep. My husband siphoned some gas out and could immediately see that there was water in the gas. He took that sample, along with our receipt, back to the station and they sent it on to their lab which tested it. Within a couple weeks we recieved the answer that it was indeed their gas. With that answer came a check to reimburse us to the tune of $650. (While Sunoco wouldn't reimburse us for my husband's lost day from work, the station owner did.)

If you still have a sample of the gas, give it to the station that sold it to you and ask them to have it tested. Assuming they're honest, they shouldn't have a problem doing it. You might want to ask them when the last time before your purchase was that they did a dip test. They are supposed to do dip tests often to make sure no water has seeped into their tanks.

JETX

Speaking of 'gas', I just got the following email:

World "Politics"
Heathrow Airport in England: A 300-foot red carpet was stretched out to Air Force One and President Bush strode to a warm but dignified handshake from Queen Elizabeth II They rode in a silver 1934 Bentley to the edge of central London where they boarded an open 17th century coach hitched to six magnificent white horses.

As they rode toward Buckingham Palace, each looking to their side and waving to the thousands of cheering Britons lining the streets, all was going well. This was indeed a glorious display of pageantry and dignity.

Suddenly the scene was shattered when the right rear horse let rip the most horrendous, earth-shattering, eye-smarting blast of flatulence and the coach immediately filled with noxious fumes.

Uncomfortable, but maintaining control, the two dignitaries did their best to ignore the whole incident, but then the Queen decided that was a ridiculous manner with which to handle a most embarrassing situation.
She turned to Mr. Bush and explained, "Mr. President, please accept my regrets. I'm sure you understand that there are some things even a Queen
cannot control".

George W., ever the Texas gentleman, replied, "Your Majesty, please don't give the matter another thought. You know, if you hadn't said something I would have assumed it was one of the horses."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">