• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final settlement - how much to expect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluedazzle2

What is the name of your state? CA

I was rear-ended on the freeway traveling 50-60mph, car damage was $5500 (paid by ins co) with one month car rental $1000 (paid by ins co). I opened a bodily injury claim with the other insurance company and am nearing settlement.

To date:
1) went to doctor 3x for tons of xrays (had head, neck and back pains) with the head being the scariest - it felt numb for almost 2-3 months - but apparently, all checked out good.
2) went to 21 chiropractic appointments ($3450)

What dollar amount is the norm in a case like this? Is this settlement just for the bodily injury (dr appts), or can I factor in other factors? I'm not trying to be greedy, I just want to make sure it's fair and I get what I deserve. I was thinking a few grand - Given that I had to leave work 1 hr early for each appointment (21 hrs), factor in travel time, factor in traffic with travel time, and factor in the early stages, the emotional stress that came along with having to coordinate leaving work, seeing the chiro 2-3x a week and having these pains? I felt like I was falling apart physically.

I think to date, I have been reimbursed for the other expenses besides medical through my insurance co, which I"m assuming went after the other insurance company to get their money.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

teflon_jones

Well, it sounds like you're not trying to win the insurance lottery, which is refreshing. A few thousand dollars, in my opinion, is not unreasonable for this accident. Wait and see what they offer you. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">