• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Responsibility for Minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lauradale

What is the name of your state? Colorado
My car was stolen by my son and anoter teen. The unlicensed driver (not my son) crashed it into public property while joyriding. He did about $4000 in damage.

Naturally, we're poor, on welfare, and they're rich people who could easily pay--they just refuse to do so. We have a small claims case filed to recover damages but the parents claim they are not responsible because my son helped in the theft.

Is there a Colorado law that would apply to show responsibility of the driver's parents.

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)We have a small claims case filed to recover damages but the parents claim they are not responsible because my son helped in the theft.(QUOTE)

They are correct. What part of the responsibility do you apply to your child? :rolleyes:

Judge judy would love you on her show.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lauradale said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado
My car was stolen by my son and anoter teen. The unlicensed driver (not my son) crashed it into public property while joyriding. He did about $4000 in damage.

Naturally, we're poor, on welfare, and they're rich people who could easily pay--they just refuse to do so. We have a small claims case filed to recover damages but the parents claim they are not responsible because my son helped in the theft.

Is there a Colorado law that would apply to show responsibility of the driver's parents.

My response:

Actually, they're more than probably correct. But for your son supplying the keys, there would never have been an accident. Ergo, both boys, and their parents, are equally liable and responsible.

IAAL

L

Lauradale

Thanks

Thanks for your input--though it's not what we were hoping to hear, obviously! :)
I actually submitted this for my sister-in-law and nephew and hate to give her the bad news, especially since the other party has now counter-sued, but the law's the law. Doesn't always give us what we want. Should be interesting, eh?
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">