• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Accident--Contacted Directly by Other Guy's Insurance Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jettagirl

What is the name of your state? IL
I got into my first accident last month. Fortunately, there were no injuries. I slid on a patch of ice onto the shoulder & a coworker tried to pass me. Because the rear of my car was still in the lane, his rear right side impacted my rear left side. We filed an accident report, but neither of us got tickets. His insurance company has sent me a letter explaining that they found me at fault & asking to pay for the damage to his car. What should I do?

I am insured & they have my insurance company's info. I don't really understand why they found me at fault. I don't know whose fault it legally was, but I would think a case could be made that he was following too closely, had a speed that was too quick for the conditions, and/or that he failed to yield. I feel somewhat like his insurance company is just trying to avoid having to pay anything.

I also don't know why they contacted me, rather than my insurance company. How much weight doe their demand for my payment carry? How might I appeal their decision if I need to?

Thanks!

Lynx 36

From the facts I see here your co-worker is 100% at fault. The co-worker failed to maintain control of his vehicle and struck your car. Just b/c you spun out and went off to the side of the road doesn't make it your fault. Your co-worker has a duty to pay attention and maintain control of his vehicle. Also he was following too close f/ conditions.

I'm paying a claim out now where this exact same thing happened in the snow.

What does your insurance company say?

jettagirl

Thanks for your response. I asked the question last night because I had just received the letter & it was after hours at my own insurance company. I called them today & learned that this despicable practice is quite common. The opposing insurance company contacts customers directly in order to intimidate/trick them into paying & that I should ignore anything from them. I understand that the game is for insurance companies to pay out as little as possible, but what a horrible practice that is! Thanks again for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">