• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced off the road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danadki

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? MN
My son and his girlfriend were forced off the road by a man who was talking on his cell phone and swerved into their lane so he could make a left turn. My son was forced over and ran into the center median hitting and breaking off a turn signal post. His girlfriend was taken to the hospital by ambulance and luckily is not seriously hurt. His car is probably totalled and had to be towed home.

My question is, since the other driver did not hit my son's car, can he still be held responsible for causing the accident? The police said they received three calls immediately by witnesses who said the man had been driving recklessly and definitely ran my son off the road. My son only has liability insurance and needs his car for work.

The police also said they went to the man's house and his car was parked in the driveway but no one would answer the door or any of the repeated phone calls to the house.

What action should we take?

HomeGuru

danadki said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? MN
My son and his girlfriend were forced off the road by a man who was talking on his cell phone and swerved into their lane so he could make a left turn. My son was forced over and ran into the center median hitting and breaking off a turn signal post. His girlfriend was taken to the hospital by ambulance and luckily is not seriously hurt. His car is probably totalled and had to be towed home.

My question is, since the other driver did not hit my son's car, can he still be held responsible for causing the accident? The police said they received three calls immediately by witnesses who said the man had been driving recklessly and definitely ran my son off the road. My son only has liability insurance and needs his car for work.

The police also said they went to the man's house and his car was parked in the driveway but no one would answer the door or any of the repeated phone calls to the house.

What action should we take?
**A: hire an attorney and sue this driver.

Because there were witnesses, the man can most certainly be held responsible for causing the accident.

I would suggest that you keep checking in with the police periodically. Very often, in traffic accident investigations, they will make a few attempts to contact somebody, then just give up and close their file. If you stay on them, they will be less likely to do this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">