• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fractured vertibrae in accident, need info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

billy132

What is the name of your state? Texas
I don't have a drivers license, but I was driving a friends truck, he had insurance, and it covered other drivers. I was pulling out of a convenient store, crossing a highway intersection, and was t-boned by another vehicle. I did not see them coming because there is a hill that you can not see past very well, I have been told that there have been other accidents, and near ones. The damage was pretty bad, it totaled the truck I was in. I fractured my second vertibrae, and was placed in a halo for 4 months. My mother was the only one that cas able to talk the trooper that was in charge of the report, he told her that it was my fault, not because of no drivers licence, but because I pulled out in front of the other vehicle. He also said that the person in the other vehicle said that he was going 65 mph, but my wife and I talked to the wrecker service that towed the truck I was in, and they said that the other vehicle had to be going at least 80 mph just by looking at the damage. I tried to contact the trooper myself, after I got out of the hospital, but the lady that answered told me that he was out for a few days, so I left a message, but was not getting a call back, so I called the insurance to see if they recieved the accident report, and they did. So I called to talk to the trooper, but he was not available, and I could not recieve any information about the accident. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:

racer72

First, it does not matter if the other vehicle was going 5 mph, 50 mph, or 100 mph, this does not remove you from liability from the accident. Your failure to yield trumps the others drivers speeding for cause of the accident. I would suggest you contact a local attorney, I sense some serious lawsuits possibly heading your way.

L

Lifeisfarout

What's going on with the insurance on the vehicle you were driving? Did your friend have "full coverage" if so, have they performed an investigation? Did the driver who hit you leave any skid marks? Speed can be calculated by the length of skid marks. TX does have comparative negligence laws. You are certainly the majority at fault here but if there is proof the other driver was traveling over the posted speed limit (tough to prove) he can be assessed some negligence too. Any witnesses?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">