• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

frame damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

outdrfed

What is the name of your state? tx
I was in a an at fault accident causing $14,ooo damage. However my truck is a 2005 quad cab F-150 so it was not a total loss. They are ordering a new frame and rebuilding it from that. I thought when it had massive amounts of frame damage they would have to total the vehicle because it would result in a "rebuild" or "refurbished" title. Is this just a rumor? Also, in the state of TX am I entitled to recover diminution of value from state farm if they make me keep the vehicle? Thanks!

S

shell007

outdrfed said:
I was in a an at fault accident causing $14,ooo damage. However my truck is a 2005 quad cab F-150 so it was not a total loss. They are ordering a new frame and rebuilding it from that. I thought when it had massive amounts of frame damage they would have to total the vehicle because it would result in a "rebuild" or "refurbished" title. Is this just a rumor? Also, in the state of TX am I entitled to recover diminution of value from state farm if they make me keep the vehicle? Thanks!
I do not know about decreased value, but just because a frame is damaged DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY total a vehicle. Today's technology is unbelievable.

To your credit though....IN THE OLD DAYS...your vehicle would have been immediately totaled due to frame damage.

Unfortunately (sometimes)...this is not the 70's, but the new Millennium.

divgradcurl

outdrfed said:
A salvage or rebuild title will only be issued if the car is totaled by the insurance company. If the car is repaired, then it will still retain a "clean" title, no matter how much work went into repairing it. It's not up to you whether the insurance totals the car or repairs it -- they make the choice. You can always sell it later if you don't want to keep it.

If the truck has a new frame, instead of a repaired frame, why should you get dimunition in value? -- it should be worth just as much as a truck with the original frame.

Off topic, but for the sake of illustration, many sport motorcycles are totalled even though the damage is strictly cosmetic, because the cost to repair all of the fairings is sometimes too high -- so there are many salvage titled bikes out there that have never had mechanical or structural damage, but have been "totalled" at one time by an insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">