• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Free Auto Repair Estimate NOT FREE!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prodogs

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I recently dropped my car off at my local toyota dealership after a front end collision. They advertise Free Auto Repair estimates

After the initial and supplemental estimate they gave me qoute of about 17,500 to fix the car.
Because of the extent and cost of the damage I decided that I did not want ot get the car fixed.

When i informed the body shop that I did not want the car repaired to told me that i would need to pay 2500 storage fee and labor for creating the estimate.

They will not release the car to me until i pay with cash or a cashiers check.

I never signed anything that gave an indication that there would be charge for storage or labor for creating the estimate.

Please help I am being held hostage.

seniorjudge

prodogs said:

I recently dropped my car off at my local toyota dealership after a front end collision. They advertise Free Auto Repair estimates

After the initial and supplemental estimate they gave me qoute of about 17,500 to fix the car.
Because of the extent and cost of the damage I decided that I did not want ot get the car fixed.

When i informed the body shop that I did not want the car repaired to told me that i would need to pay 2500 storage fee and labor for creating the estimate.

I never signed anything that gave an indication that there would be charge for storage or labor for creating the estimate.

How long did they have the car. Did they tow it in?

What's the rest of the story?

S

shell007

Did you maybe miss any "fine print"?

They Very well could have meant that if you choose to have the vehicle fixed by them, THEN...the estimate would be free. Usually there is some kind of catch to these advertisements!

Never-the-less...that is still alot of $$$ for an estimate! :confused:

T

Trucking Mad

prodogs said:

Unfortunately the fine print is where they getcha. There are alot of repair co. that will give you an estimate as long as you let them have the business. Apparently they have had your car for awhile and the fees are probably for towing, storing, and shop fees ( for the mech. time, and tying up the bay to do your est.) The other posts have mentioned these areas as well. They will also cont. to charge storage fees for as long as you cont. to not resolve this.

prodogs

Free Estimate Not Free

They have had the car since Dec 5. It has taken this long for the insurance company to inspect the vehicle and give their estimate and for the body shop to then give there estimate.

Upon learning of their estimate (Dec 23rd) I adviced that I was not going to the get the car repaired. This is when the IT hit the fan.

They are charging me for 14 hours labor time $50 per
14 hours use of shop @ $50 per
$40 per day storage since dec 5.

seniorjudge said:
How long did they have the car. Did they tow it in?

What's the rest of the story?

prodogs

No small print

I have looked and looked but there is no small print.
In-fact the bill they gave me for the $2500 says FREE BODY SHOP ESTIMATES.

typically you would find some disclaimer on the back but none exist.
shellandty said:
Did you maybe miss any "fine print"?

They Very well could have meant that if you choose to have the vehicle fixed by them, THEN...the estimate would be free. Usually there is some kind of catch to these advertisements!

Never-the-less...that is still alot of $$$ for an estimate! :confused:

prodogs

Charges

No fine print to be found anywhere. No document I received has any fine print.

The details of what they want to charge are as follows :

101.50 for towing
$720 for 18 days @ 40 per day (i could rent a car for a lot less)
14 hours of labor @ 50
14 hours of labor for use of body shop tools @ 50 - a big dig
$125 administrative fee

total $2443 thank you

Trucking Mad said:
Unfortunately the fine print is where they getcha. There are alot of repair co. that will give you an estimate as long as you let them have the business. Apparently they have had your car for awhile and the fees are probably for towing, storing, and shop fees ( for the mech. time, and tying up the bay to do your est.) The other posts have mentioned these areas as well. They will also cont. to charge storage fees for as long as you cont. to not resolve this.

Last edited:

justalayman

prodogs said:
No fine print to be found anywhere. No document I received has any fine print.

The details of what they want to charge are as follows :

101.50 for towing
$720 for 18 days @ 40 per day (i could rent a car for a lot less)
14 hours of labor @ 50
14 hours of labor for use of body shop tools @ 50 - a big dig
$125 administrative fee

total $2443 thank you
Obviously ther are things here that you would be responsible for even if the quote was free.

$101.50 towing
$720 storage (your fault you left the car there)

I can't for the life of me see a quote ever requiring 14 hour of time and by the looks of it in the "use of body shop tools" would tend to indicate that some work was actually performed. I have no clue as to why you would have a $125 admin. fee.

Either you aren't telling us the whole story or you aren't understanding what the body shop has done and why.

At face value the bill seems outragous but something really sounds wrong with your presentation.

prodogs

To hard to believe

I hear you - yes the facts are incredible.

But in a nut shell

Drop Car off Dec 5th
Wait for Insurance Company Initial Estimate Dec 16
Wait Wait & more waiting
Wait for Repair Shop to give full estimate dec 23
Give notice that I do not want the car repaired (dec 20 & dec 23)
Told if not repairing car i need to pay $2443.

In addition towing is not to the the car to from accident. I towed car from scene of accident to dealership. They towed car to Levittown, PA without my knowledge and are charging me $101. Then refused to tow vehicle back to dealership.

justalayman said:
Obviously ther are things here that you would be responsible for even if the quote was free.

$101.50 towing
$720 storage (your fault you left the car there)

I can't for the life of me see a quote ever requiring 14 hour of time and by the looks of it in the "use of body shop tools" would tend to indicate that some work was actually performed. I have no clue as to why you would have a $125 admin. fee.

Either you aren't telling us the whole story or you aren't understanding what the body shop has done and why.

At face value the bill seems outragous but something really sounds wrong with your presentation.

justalayman

prodogs said:
I hear you - yes the facts are incredible.

But in a nut shell

Drop Car off Dec 5th
Wait for Insurance Company Initial Estimate Dec 16
Wait Wait & more waiting
Wait for Repair Shop to give full estimate dec 23
Give notice that I do not want the car repaired (dec 20 & dec 23)
Told if not repairing car i need to pay $2443.

In addition towing is not to the the car to from accident. I towed car from scene of accident to dealership. They towed car to Levittown, PA without my knowledge and are charging me $101. Then refused to tow vehicle back to dealership.
What is this "initial estimate" and then a "full estimate"? Why would ther be more than one estimate? When did they tow the car to Levittown?

prodogs

Estimates

I was told by the body shop that the insurance company must come down to to perform a visual inspection with that the insurance company submits an estimate. The body shop takes that estimate and performs their estimate. The car has been at the shop since dec 5th the day of the accident.

justalayman said:
What is this "initial estimate" and then a "full estimate"? Why would ther be more than one estimate? When did they tow the car to Levittown?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">