• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

friend crashed car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cholloway

My 17 yr. old daughter gave her friend permission to drive my car. Her friend crashed my car, causing $2800 in damages. Is her friend who drove the car responsible for damages or is my daughter who gave her permission? And if her friend is responsible could you please reference the legal code saying this. Please email the response to [email protected]
Thank-you

racer72

We do not email answers to threads on this forum, others may learn from your experience. You have the option of selecting to receive an email if someone replies to your thread. And please delete your duplicate thread.

Before an answer can be given to your thread, how old was this freind of your daughter? Did your daughter have permission to drive or let others drive your vehicle? Your daughter being a minor cannot be held legally liable.

C

cholloway

Her friend driving our car was 18. My daughter had permission to drive our car, but not to the beach, she is 17 and has a provisional license. Trouble occurred when 12 midnight struck and she was unable to drive home because of her provisional license. Therefore, asked her friend to drive home. That is when her friend crashed--police report indicates that it was her friends fault (no alcohol was involved).

stephenk

driver of the car is liable. did the driver have her own insurance coverage? If yes, make a claim with her carrier.

C

cholloway

I am actually taking her to small claims court 2 weeks from now. How do we get her car insurance information. If her car insurance pays or if she pays are we obligated to fixing the car, or can we just write it off and keep the $2900.

stephenk

you can do whatever you want with whatever money you win in the suit. Why wouldnt you want to fix the car if there is close to $3000 in damage? Please dont say you will put the car on cinderblocks on your front lawn.

C

cholloway

We may not want to fix the car because the book value for the car is only like $2500 and as well a friend has told us that the frame is bent and this you cant fix. Could you tell me how to collect from an 18 year old that has no money???We also have named her father in the law suit. Thank-you for responding.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cholloway said:
We may not want to fix the car because the book value for the car is only like $2500 and as well a friend has told us that the frame is bent and this you cant fix. Could you tell me how to collect from an 18 year old that has no money???We also have named her father in the law suit. Thank-you for responding.

My response:

Now why the hell would you name her father as a party defendant? How stupid was that?

The girl is 18 - - she's an adult!

Her father has nothing to do with this, Dufus!

IAAL

C

cholloway

A lawyer that we talked to on the phone told us to also name her father.

C

cholloway

Can anyone tell me anything about permissive use in New Jersey. Could my 17 year old daughter be considered to have given her 18 year old friend, permissive use to drive my car???

stephenk

sure she can. you gave your daughter permission to drive the car. did you explicitedly tell your daughter that no one else was to drive the car? If no, then your daughter had authority to let her friend drive the car.

C

cholloway

I specifically gave my daughter instruction that nobody else was to ever drive this car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">