• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend was keeping car which was stolen and involved in an accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pagzzer0

My girlfriend and I moved to Boston, from Dallas, almost 1 year ago. Approximately 4-5 months ago, my girlfriend permitted a friend of hers to use the car, as the friend intended on buying it.

We were recently informed the car was stolen and invloved in an accident. My girlfriends friend never reported it stolen (we are now in the process of trying to have this done and We are starting to think the friend was the one that wrecked the car) and we are now being contacted by the individual the was hit that we are going to be sued as, according to him, we are liable. To make matters worse, the car was not insured.

Help!

Thanks!

Pagzzer0

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pagzzer0 said:
My girlfriend and I moved to Boston, from Dallas, almost 1 year ago. Approximately 4-5 months ago, my girlfriend permitted a friend of hers to use the car, as the friend intended on buying it.

We were recently informed the car was stolen and invloved in an accident. My girlfriends friend never reported it stolen (we are now in the process of trying to have this done and We are starting to think the friend was the one that wrecked the car) and we are now being contacted by the individual the was hit that we are going to be sued as, according to him, we are liable. To make matters worse, the car was not insured.

Help!

Thanks!

Pagzzer0
My response:

What kind of "Help" would you like ?

The car was yours, it was involved in an accident, there was no insurance, and you allowed the car to be driven without insurance, by making the keys available.

You're responsible.

IAAL

P

pagzzer0

Thanks!

Thanks Nutec as I am currently pursuing your suggestion.

Also, according to a judicial source (friend of a friend situation), my girlfriend could potentially be held liable IF the girl she gave permission too caused the accident and/or if my girlfriend loanded the car to someone with a know driving problem, etc... However, since the car was in use by an unknown party, someone whoe did not have "permission" to drive the car via my girlfriend, this minimizes any potential, if any, liability.

Thanks again!

Pagzzer0

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">