• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend killed my car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tartan25

What is the name of your state? Texas

I let my friend borrow my car one night, and he blew the engine in it. He told me that he would take care of it but never did. The value of the car was $1500 and the repair on the vehicle would have been $1200, so I just ended up getting rid of it because the friend would not pay for the damages. I have witnesses saying he would take care of it, and the mechanic says that they guy drove the hell out of it. My question is do I have a case, and can I sue for more money since this caused me to have to walk for six months, and take the bus to college while trying to save money for a new car? Any help would be appreciated.

In one night he blew the engine? I don't know much about cars but how is this possible? How can you prove that the engine wasn't already in bad shape?

Tartan25

Didn't shift

The mechanic said he left the car in first gear and didnt shift, he blew the cam seal, and all the oil drained out, and kept driving it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Rule of thumb - don't loan your stick shift car to someone who's only driven an automatic before.

panzertanker

Tartan25 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I let my friend borrow my car one night, and he blew the engine in it. He told me that he would take care of it but never did. The value of the car was $1500 and the repair on the vehicle would have been $1200, so I just ended up getting rid of it because the friend would not pay for the damages. I have witnesses saying he would take care of it, and the mechanic says that they guy drove the hell out of it. My question is do I have a case, and can I sue for more money since this caused me to have to walk for six months, and take the bus to college while trying to save money for a new car? Any help would be appreciated.
Question:
How could you sue him, and win, to fix a car you no longer own???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">