• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend of the victim in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lindar

I am dating someone who was involved in a bad auto wreck last summer, in which he lost his wife, his best friend, and his best friend's wife. He has a wrongful death suit against the other party's insurance co. His lawyer told him it would be very detrimental to the case if anyone were to find out we were dating. The woman who hit them was drunk and on drugs, and crossed the center line and hit him. It is very obvious the accident was her fault. My question is, how far will the other side go to dig up dirt on my boyfriend to try to lessen the settlement? I realize we need to be discreet, but will they start checking my bank accounts, watching our houses, etc.? I was planning on quitting my job and staying home to take care of both of our houses and get them ready to sell so we can build a new one. Would the other side be likely to find out if I did that? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I live in PA.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lindar said:
I am dating someone who was involved in a bad auto wreck last summer, in which he lost his wife, his best friend, and his best friend's wife. He has a wrongful death suit against the other party's insurance co. His lawyer told him it would be very detrimental to the case if anyone were to find out we were dating. The woman who hit them was drunk and on drugs, and crossed the center line and hit him. It is very obvious the accident was her fault. My question is, how far will the other side go to dig up dirt on my boyfriend to try to lessen the settlement? I realize we need to be discreet, but will they start checking my bank accounts, watching our houses, etc.? I was planning on quitting my job and staying home to take care of both of our houses and get them ready to sell so we can build a new one. Would the other side be likely to find out if I did that? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I live in PA.
My response:

The value of a wrongful death lawsuit, along with loss of consortium, in the context of a marital situation is heavily dependant upon the strength of that marriage.

Obviously, his marriage was not a strong one, since he was committing adultery with you.

So, in essence what you are asking is, "How can I help my boyfriend commit a fraud upon the opposing side, and upon the court ? " You are, through him, trying to capitalize and profit from, your wrongdoing, and at the expense of the memory of a dead person.

I will not assist you in such an outrageous plan, and I am confident that no one else on these boards will offer you any assistance to carry out your scheme.

IAAL

L

lindar

Misunderstood

You completely misunderstood me. Although I have known this person for a long time, we did not start dating until a couple months ago. We did not commit adultery, and he did have a strong marriage. We are not trying to commmit fraud, we are just following the advice of his lawyer to be discreet. Personally, I think the lawyer is more worried about how much his pockets are going to get lined out of this, than how his client is coping and what would be best for him. That is why I posted the question. Maybe the lawyer is just scared his paycheck might get cut a little?? I wasn't sure if it would have anything to do with the case or not. After all, we are not the ones who did anything wrong.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Misunderstood

lindar said:
You completely misunderstood me. Although I have known this person for a long time, we did not start dating until a couple months ago. We did not commit adultery, and he did have a strong marriage. We are not trying to commmit fraud, we are just following the advice of his lawyer to be discreet. Personally, I think the lawyer is more worried about how much his pockets are going to get lined out of this, than how his client is coping and what would be best for him. That is why I posted the question. Maybe the lawyer is just scared his paycheck might get cut a little?? I wasn't sure if it would have anything to do with the case or not. After all, we are not the ones who did anything wrong.
My response:

I apologize to you for my assumption and my leap to non-existent facts.

You may in fact be absolutely correct about the attorney. He's saying to himself, "This case is going into the dumper if my client shows he's recuperated from the grief."

Video is everywhere. As much as it will hurt, you really should stay away from each other until this matter is concluded.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">