• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend will not return my Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jane3223

What is the name of your state? Maryland.

I took a loan out and purchase a truck for my friend. The truck and insurance is in my name but he is making the monthly payments on the loan. He recently started a business and purchase a truck through his business.

He says he no longer uses my truck but won't return it. He refuse to reimburse me for the insurance and will not return the truck to me. He still continues to make payments on the loan but just won't pay the insurance. I want the truck so I can sell it and pay off my loan and get it out of my name. All the contact information I have for this person is his full name and cell phone number. I don't have an address.

What legal steps can I take to get my truck back?
Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Jane

If he is the one making the payments... he has a property interest in the truck as well.

He talked you into buying the truck on your credit and then broke up with you, right?

As for the insurance payments... if he made no promises to reimburse you... it's a gift. Write this part off and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

As for the car... hopefully he will agree to have the loan transferred to his name. If not, call the finance company and see if they can help you out. Did you put any money into the truck? If not, it does not sound like you have a legitimate property interest in the truck. I know you're upset and trying to get back at this guy... but if he's willing to fix the finance company issue... you need to just walk away.

djohnson

I completely disagree with the previous post. If it is titled in your name then it is your property. He has no interest in it what so ever unless you a binding contract with him outside of your agreement with the lending company. I would send him a CRRR letter (you should be able to find an address) to give him so much time to purchase the vehicle from you and get the loan and title in his name. If not you can report the vehicle stolen. It is your vehicle and even if he is making payments and you have an agreement (which you probably don't) then him not carrying insurance would surely void it. It's your vehicle, go get it.

J

jane3223

Thanks for the advice Crazyhorse. I will contact the bank and see if they can help. All I want is to get this truck out of my name.

J

jane3223

Thanks for the reply djohnson.

I was thinking of taking him to court and force him to get the loan transfer to his name but not sure where to start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">