• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gathering Personal Effects

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CO

In August of 07 my co-worker (I am in California accident in Colorado) was killed after leaving a company function. He was killed by a man that was engaged in a high speed pursuit from the Aurora police.

The police say that they stopped the pursuit about 1/2 mile away from where my friend was killed.

The man driving the car that killed Brian was running from PD because he had violated a domestic violence restraining order. When he was arrested his car contained drugs and a gun.

My co-workers wife has been trying since this time to gain access to his personal effects.

The DA and the prosecutor have said in open court that Brians vehicle contains nothing that is pertinent to the case and that they don't need it for evidence.

The DA and the prosecutor have admitted that the burden of evidence is not strong enough to file claim against the police department for Brians death...

My co-workers wife was responsible for purchasing the tarp and bungee cords necessary to preserve Brians car since it was literally smashed in on the drivers side door.

Aurora PD refuses to release his belongings to the family.

How can she gain access to her late husbands personal effects?

JETX

How can she gain access to her late husbands personal effects?
She can make a verbal request to the PD.
If that doesn't work, she can make a written request to the PD.
If that doesn't work, she will have to hire an attorney to file with the court to get an order to release.

She can make a verbal request to the PD
If that doesn't work, she can make a written request to the PD.
If that doesn't work, she will have to hire an attorney to file with the court to get an order to release.
She's done the first two... and I'll tell her about her third option. thanks so much

FlyingRon

Probably it's the DA that she needs to get to instigate the release at this point. The Police aren't going to release anything that they think the DA may need.

ecmst12

Is there a case pending against the guy who hit your husband's car? That would be the primary responsible party, and the car might be evidence for that.

Happy to Report!

The Aurora PD was under court order to release his belongings to the family since early December. The officer in charge of making that happen recently received a message that due to the high profile 'circumstances' regarding my friends death, coupled with the fact that he was an innocent victim compounded with the court order.... that this matter will be going public in 5, 4, 3, 2....

Being that there has been NO misunderstanding that SHE is the contact person for the family regarding this matter and that SHE had ignored the families calls and requests SHE may want to consider her statement to the press.

She returned the belongings nearly immediately.

The family is so relieved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">