• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Genious letting foreign unlicensed driver drive car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? TX.

Ok, (this is not me) My friend has let his new girlfriend (whole week) drive his car around. She's from another country and does not have a license.

Nothing has happened yet, but.. supposing it does.., accident, speeding ticket, car wreck.

Would my friend be in trouble legally? Would his insurance cover any damages that were caused?

Looking for some ammo to throw in his face about this stupid move in my opinion.

StephenH

Ok, (this is not me) My friend has let his new girlfriend (whole week) drive his car around. She's from another country and does not have a license.

Would my friend be in trouble legally? Would his insurance cover any damages that were caused?

If she had a valid license from the country she was from, and was a VISITOR to the US (i.e. not a permanent resident or illegal alien), it might be valid here in the US while here. Insurance might cover because most insurance will cover when a car is loaned to a friend who is legally licensed, lives outside your household, and had permission to drive from the vehicle owner provided the person is not excluded from your insurance.

If she has no license at all, that is a very different matter entirely. In this case, yes she would be in trouble legally. She could be arrested for "driving without a license" and in some states this would result in a car impoundment for up to 30 days. Additionally, insurance would probably not cover in this case, either unless you reported the car stolen, in which she would be charged with theft.

If she happens to be a permanent residsent, she may want to go to the DMV and get her driving permit or license. If she is a visitor and does not have a license at all from anywhere, she should refrain from driving till she returns to her home area, and gets her permit or license.

moburkes

But, yes, your friend could be in legal trouble for knowingly allowing an unlicensed driver to drive his vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">