• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Give out insurance information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bijou-MP5

What is the name of your state? IL
HI, I got into car accident today. It wasn't my fault, so when we filing up the police report, I didn't give him my insurance information.
honestly, because my insurance was in pending mode due to non payment.
Do I have to give out my insurance information to the other driver? I called insurance company and they said just claim to other driver's insurance company for damages, since it wasn't my fault and they said I don't have to give out my insurance information.
help is appreciated.:)

CMSC

I'm sorry maybe I misread this, the police came and allowed you to not show proof of insurance?

bijou-MP5

ryry's mom said:
I'm sorry maybe I misread this, the police came and allowed you to not show proof of insurance?
Actually police didn't come, so we went to police station to file up the reports. police lady didn't really care about the my insurance.
she just filed up the reports and let us go.

stephenk

when you make your claim against the other driver's insurance company you will be asked to reveal any insurance you had at the time of the accident. since you had none, just tell them you had no insurance.

if you refuse to reveal your insurance status, the other carrier will file a request with your state's department of motor vehicles to have them request you provide your insurance status. if you refuse to reply to the DMV, you may have your license suspended.

bijou-MP5

stephenk said:
when you make your claim against the other driver's insurance company you will be asked to reveal any insurance you had at the time of the accident. since you had none, just tell them you had no insurance.

if you refuse to reveal your insurance status, the other carrier will file a request with your state's department of motor vehicles to have them request you provide your insurance status. if you refuse to reply to the DMV, you may have your license suspended.
I actually called my previous insurance agent, and they told me I don't have to give out my insurance information since it was other driver's fault.
but most important question is that if it's possible to get other drivers to pay for my damage even though i don't have insurance since it was his fault.

stephenk

if the other carrier believes you were not at fault they will negotiate to pay your car damages and any injury you suffered. however, if they dont believe your version you will need to sue the other driver.

the other driver may make a claim with his own carrier to fix his car. the other carrier may proceed to make a claim against you to reimburse them for the money they paid. eventually your lack of insurance coverage will come up. the other carrier can notify the DMV and then POOF, your license is suspended for lack of insurance.

Sorry.

bijou-MP5

stephenk said:
if the other carrier believes you were not at fault they will negotiate to pay your car damages and any injury you suffered. however, if they dont believe your version you will need to sue the other driver.

the other driver may make a claim with his own carrier to fix his car. the other carrier may proceed to make a claim against you to reimburse them for the money they paid. eventually your lack of insurance coverage will come up. the other carrier can notify the DMV and then POOF, your license is suspended for lack of insurance.

Sorry.
Since I don't have insurance due to non payment, do you think its possible to get insurance now with previous insurance co?
If i get suspended for not having insurance, do I still able to get them to pay for my car damages?
sorry about the all the questions, I'm just worried.

btw, other driver called me up today and asked me what action I will take. I told them to go ahead and make reports to your insurance co, I told them since it wasn't my fault, at this time I don't want to release the my insurance info.
this accident was happened in IL chicago, driver was from New york and moved in to chicago some time ago, so he still had new york license and plate, and the car was owned by his mom.
anyway, His dad called me up to negotiatte with me .and so I told him I will go ahead and find estimate for this car, and notify them tomorrow. if price is too expensive they told me they will reports to the their insurance co.
what do you think?

Last edited:

stephenk

if they are willing to pay for your damages without you having to go through their insurance company, that's not a bad deal.

make sure you put everything in writing regarding any agreements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">