• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Go cart accident on city street

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DENNIE42

My mother was hit my a Golf cart while attending a city sponsored event at Franklin,va,the cart was driven by a 13 year old girl,her mother let her drive it,the mother was one of the officials of the event.My mothers hip was broken,she is 73 years old.

City officials said it was their fault and would pay all hospital bills,the city insurance company just sent my Mother a letter saying that they would only pay $5000 and that the city had soverign immunity,we are due to meet with city officials but can anyone tell what my Mothers options are.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Some municipalities do have sovereign immunity but I believe if they attempt settlement/admit partial liabilty, they in effect are waiving that immunity.

Your best bet, contact a personal injury attorney to join three people in a suit: the mom who let her daughter drive; the golf course and city.

Try either http://www.attorneypages.com or call your state bar association and ask for lawyer referral. DOn't sit on this because there is usually a 1 year statute of limitations on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">