• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Golf Ball Busted Windshield

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rward

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Today driving along the highway, across from a country club-golf course a golf ball struck the windshield of my car. The damage is quite significant and the windshield must be replaced. It didn't cause major bodily damage (aside from a few pieces of glass that broke off and cut my husband's arm slightly).

We turned around and went to the golf course where we spoke to the manager. He immediately informed us that the country club was not liable, that the guilty golfer's home owner insurance would cover the damage. Of course, no one fessed up to the wayward ball. We exchanged information with the manager and he said he'd contact us if the golfer ever makes himself known. I didn't feel that this would be something I should hold my breath about, so, unsure what to do, we called the police and filed a report. Once we got home I took several photographs of the windshield.

My question is this: I feel we shouldn't have to pay for the windshield. Is the country club liable for damages and if we were to file suit in small claims, how likely would we be to get a settlement?

We have yet to get an estimate on the windshield.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

racer72

The country club did not hit the golf ball, a golfer did. They cannot and will not be held liable. This is exactly what comprehensive insurance is for and in most cases, the deductable is waived for glass repair or replacement. Call your insurance agent.

D

Doom5

Shouldn't the country club have netting up if it's known that golf balls will go into traffic? Is that not an example of negligence?

spawn_x

racer72 said:
The country club did not hit the golf ball, a golfer did. They cannot and will not be held liable.
So if I go to a shooting yard and shoot a gun and it kills a person driving on the freeway it will be my fault for missing the target?

Nonsense, it is their responsibility for making an unsafe yard in the first place.

If the ball was shot where it was not allowed (right at the entrance towards a parking lot lets say) then yes I could see that its not their responsibility, however during the course of regular use of the golf course safety measures must be present.

Take the owner of the country club to court for not having safety precautions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">