• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

got rear-ended, but I don't have insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nick kirsch

I was in an accident on January 13 in Tampa, FL. I was rear-ended by my friend while I was stopped in traffic. When the officer arrived, he left the scenario up to me. If we fill out a report, my friend must get a ticket. As the accident was caused by a friend of mine, I didn't feel it necessary to fill out a report, thus saving him a costly ticket and higher insurance premiums. He has now gotten his claim rolling and his car is in the shop to be repaired. I asked him to call his insurance company to add me to his claim, and after going to get estimates today, my repairs total $2,500.00. Now, since I don't have insurance, am I stuck with absorbing the cost of these reapirs? The accident was his fault, and it seems to me that my insurance would have nothing to do with it. Please help!
Thanks in advance

racer72

You are going to have to live with the decision you made and pay for the damage to your vehicle. By not filing an accident report, your friends insurance company will probably deny your claim, and because your were stupid enough to drive without insurance, you don't have your own insurance company to pay to fix your car. You can file a claim with his insurance and if they do pay, his rates will go up anyway. Apparently Florida does not have a mandatory insurance law or you would have gotten a ticket.

Florida does have a mandatory insurance law. But, if he only carried the minimum his carrier would not pay since he wouldn't be required to carry comp/coll. Go to the police station and fill out an accident short form. Also, see if they have any history of your call or the officer's response to the call. Then file a claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">