• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got in Wreck with Coroner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GOMER_PYLE

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

On 9/3/04 I was in a collision with a Coroner van. He was in front of me and entered the right turning lane. As I started to pass by him he decided not to turn and he side swiped me. He was at fault and admitted that he was at fault. There is $1715 in damage (estimate) done to my car, which is a '94 Plymouth Acclaim that was in good condition before the wreck. My father has also spent $400 on a new paint job which was done in 3/04 and another $900 in air conditioning and front axle work which was done in 6/04. The insurance company contacted me today and informed me that the estimate is higher than the value of the vehicle. They will be sending an appraiser to look at the vehicle soon. My dad thinks that he can make the insurance company give us what the car is worth and also reimburse us for the work done to the car. Will they do this or will I just be out of luck for the work that was done to the car? Thanks,
Gomer

P.S. JETX, I know I'm bound to hear a mean, arrogant response from you but if there is any way you can refrain from it then please do. I'm sure you wouldn't be so tough if we were face to face and not in front of a computer screen. :)

You Are Guilty

Given that retail value on a *loaded* 94 Acclaim (assuming only 50k miles) is still under $3250, what do you expect? The private party sale/trade-in prices are (obviously) much lower.

No one forced you to drop 50% of the car's value in repairs - that was your choice and no insurance company in this country will cover repairs above and beyond what the car's worth.

If they want to total the car out, one viable option may be to take the settlement and re-purchase the car from the insurance company afterwards. (Then you can spend even more money repairing it so you don't lose your precious 94 Plymouth.)

In summary: You can kiss the money you spent on it goodbye.

PS: If you had extra equipment in it listed with your insurance company (i.e. high end stereo, custom paint job, etc), you may be entitled to replacement value for the scheduled item(s). However, given that it had a $400 paint job, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess none of this applies here.

Last edited:
G

GOMER_PYLE

You ignorant *******. Look at it from my point of view. By doing the things that I did to the car I extended its life considerably. The son of a bitch HIT ME, not the other way around. Even the IRS recognizes that improvements increase value/longevity. A judge will rule in my favor if it comes to that. I do believe that the insurance company will cut a check for $1,715.84 so that I can fix my only car, my "precious" Plymouth Acclaim. Thanks for the moronic reply you ignorant ass.

You Are Guilty

Don't bother trying to explain it. I mean, what else would you expect from someone who drives a $1700 car and it's the most expensive thing he owns to the point where he thinks a 10 year old Acclaim is some sort of collector's car.

Let him fight the insurance company till he's able to save up for the car he really wanted... that rusted out 1982 Subaru Brat at "Uncle Monte's Cheap Used Car Lot" down on the corner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">