• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gun found in MVA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tellme20

I was in an auto aciddent last year, I had a iellegal hand gun in the glove compartment with the sirel number filed off.....State and localy police were called, I can't remember what office was in the car with me, he asked me if I had insurance papers in the glove compartment, I wasn't able to answer do to the fact I was being taken out of the car by EMS personal, so with out permission he enter the glove compartment and found the gun.....later when I was in the hospital he ask questions about the gun, questions as follows:

Officer: Did you know the sirel numbers where filed off? Me: yes Officer: Where and who did you get the gun from? Me: I got the gun while I was in Pittsburgh, I don't the guys name Officer: How much did you pay for the gun? Me: $300.00

That was the whole questioning thing between me and the office that night, to date I have not been charged with any thing for having the gun. I was recently in the city where i had the accident for a legal matter and was In the police department where my accident case was handled, my name and every thing was given, and still nothing was said about the gun.

Now my question is, since the office entered my glove compartment with out my premission, and I was not charged for possion of an illegal gun.... is there any way I could possibly get ownership of the gun and have it registered in my name?? if so how? if not is there any way that I can be charged for a crime ?

Sincerely: DPK

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Since you were being taken to the hospital, and your vehicle was being left behind, the officer had a right to "inventory" the contents of your car. I presume the police did not leave it on the street, and the vehicle was towed to some other location. Then, that's the reason for taking an inventory. For more detailed information, read this site: http://opba.com/page16.html

As for the gun, I have no opinion.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 05-26-2001 at 11:11 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">