• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guy ran stop sign, totaled my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JOLTED

What is the name of your state? Virginia
this was the actual post. hoping for responses. hex..you may have seen this already.

I finally found this site by coincidence.

May 2002 a guy ran a stop sign and hit me on my driver's side, the airbag deployed and I hit my head on the driver's side door/window. I was taken to the ER for an xray. I was anxious to get back to work, took 2 days off of work, even though I was on a client project during that week. I was sore, aching, and had soft tissue damage but no inter cranal bone damage to my skull, bruises on the side of my knees and a big red bruising on the top of my head. I was more pissed off that I couldn't go to work. It was a new job and new project. I wanted to do well.

I called my insurance & the guy's insurance. Both adjusters were rude, which even made me cry. I obtained the police report. the guy was charged w/ wreckless driving, there were 2 witnesses. The car settlement has been paid.

I went to a lawyer to talk about the pain & suffering. He wasn't interested in helping, since I wasn't Severely injured. I still feel victimized to this day.
This is my 3rd adjuster from the guy's insurance. I won't sign anything from his insurance.

I got the xray report from the hospital then followed up about 6 months later to a primary doctor. My #1 priority was to get back to work, I didn't sign anything & that is why I didn't follow up directly w/ a primary doctor. I didn't know I was suppose to. I still have headaches, but don't we all?

I see the insurance side, he wants the med. authorization form, pictures of my bruises, which I didn't submit right away since I was so pissed about the 1st insurance adjustor who practically YELLED at me on the phone several times & never returned my phone calls. They are offering 2 K for pain & suffering.

My friend was hit in the back of his car too, no injuries, but he still went to a chiropractor & was given 2 K too for pain & suffering, whereas my car was totaled, I had to go to the ER at the hospital, xrayed & still have horrible memories about the accident.

How does it affect me, if I tell the adjustor my reasoning of why i have not submitted the pictures, med. authorization form, spoken
to them due to me not trusting, trying to get my life back....improving at work.

Last phone call, the adjustor asked if I continued med. treatment. I did say, no. I have been waiting this out, since my father wanted to see how my head is.....for the past year....it's traumatized......and Jolted. gotta get past it...

What is the law & timeframe in VA to file anything? 2 years?
Thank you a bunch.

HomeGuru

JOLTED said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia
this was the actual post. hoping for responses. hex..you may have seen this already.

I finally found this site by coincidence.

May 2002 a guy ran a stop sign and hit me on my driver's side, the airbag deployed and I hit my head on the driver's side door/window. I was taken to the ER for an xray. I was anxious to get back to work, took 2 days off of work, even though I was on a client project during that week. I was sore, aching, and had soft tissue damage but no inter cranal bone damage to my skull, bruises on the side of my knees and a big red bruising on the top of my head. I was more pissed off that I couldn't go to work. It was a new job and new project. I wanted to do well.

I called my insurance & the guy's insurance. Both adjusters were rude, which even made me cry. I obtained the police report. the guy was charged w/ wreckless driving, there were 2 witnesses. The car settlement has been paid.

I went to a lawyer to talk about the pain & suffering. He wasn't interested in helping, since I wasn't Severely injured. I still feel victimized to this day.
This is my 3rd adjuster from the guy's insurance. I won't sign anything from his insurance.

I got the xray report from the hospital then followed up about 6 months later to a primary doctor. My #1 priority was to get back to work, I didn't sign anything & that is why I didn't follow up directly w/ a primary doctor. I didn't know I was suppose to. I still have headaches, but don't we all?

I see the insurance side, he wants the med. authorization form, pictures of my bruises, which I didn't submit right away since I was so pissed about the 1st insurance adjustor who practically YELLED at me on the phone several times & never returned my phone calls. They are offering 2 K for pain & suffering.

My friend was hit in the back of his car too, no injuries, but he still went to a chiropractor & was given 2 K too for pain & suffering, whereas my car was totaled, I had to go to the ER at the hospital, xrayed & still have horrible memories about the accident.

How does it affect me, if I tell the adjustor my reasoning of why i have not submitted the pictures, med. authorization form, spoken
to them due to me not trusting, trying to get my life back....improving at work.

Last phone call, the adjustor asked if I continued med. treatment. I did say, no. I have been waiting this out, since my father wanted to see how my head is.....for the past year....it's traumatized......and Jolted. gotta get past it...

What is the law & timeframe in VA to file anything? 2 years?
Thank you a bunch.
**A: and what did your personal injury attorney advise you to do?

smorr

I agree with HomeGuru - was there a personal injury attorney assigned to your case from your own insurance company? If you filed a claim for injuries, your insurance company should have assigned it to an attorney. If they didn't then they're not too bright! Did your insurance company get information on your visit to the ER? Did they do anything for you besides yell at you?

If you sought assistance by an attorney on your own, that won't help much if at all. Those attorneys are looking for money and most injuries settle before they go to court. Some don't, but the attorneys may be paid according to the outcome of the case. This is not lucrative for them, which may have been the reason why this attorney brushed you off.

I'm from Massachusetts and the statute of limitations runs three years after the date of the injury. I'm not sure what Virginia is. It may be the same or less. I'd get in touch with your insurance company - don't bother with the other guy's company - they're not in the business to help you - because they don't want to pay your injuries. The $2K is the usual amount you need to accumulate in damages in order to have a valid claim (at least in Mass. it is). This is probably why they said they'd pay only the $2K. Don't give up, don't cry and be persistent. See if you can find someone in your own ins. co. that is sympathetic to your problem. Get them any pictures, or any other proof they need to bring this case in. If there are witnesses that claim he was at fault, your insurance company should have jumped on that and put an attorney on it to gather info. Sounds like bad insurance practice to me.

stephenk

"was there a personal injury attorney assigned to your case from your own insurance company? If you filed a claim for injuries, your insurance company should have assigned it to an attorney."

Huh? Insurance companies do not hire attorneys to help their insureds pursue personal injury claims. An insurance company will only hire an attorney to defend their insured if a lawsuit is filed against the insured.

The original poster would need to hire her own attorney or represent herself.

smorr

You're absolutely right Stephenk - I misread the original person's question. I was under the impression she was being sued, and therefore wondered why the ins. co. had not helped out. My mistake - sorry!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">