• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have a lein on my car, didn't have full coverage...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JimSaunders

What is the name of your state? Florida

:confused: ok, here is the situation. I was pulling out, I got hit. the guy had his blinker on to turn into where I was pulling out, but he didn't turn, he hit me. ok. well, that isn't the problem here anyway. my problem is I have a 96 honda accord. I have a 8000 loan on it. I got insurance, fla min, just liability. but, my bank requires me to have full coverage. I did not know this. Next, the insurance agent which I went through, got all my lein information from me, and said if I do need full coverage my bank will contact me. The insurance agent set me up with Orion Insurance, whom I have talked to since the accident, and informed me that the agent never told Orion that I had a Lein on the car....so, what can I do? no one told me that I was required to have full coverage on my car, the accident happened two days ago, I'm pretty sure my car is totalled. please let me know what you all think. Should my ins. company have told me that I NEED full coverage on a car with a lein? how could they just let me get state min? also, how could I register the car with fla min. and a lein? plus, wouldn't my credit union have contacted me once they got my proof of insurance????

All advice is welcome, Thanks a head of time....

Jim :confused: :confused: :( :confused: :confused:

stephenk

your insurance company doesnt have to force you to do anything. When you went to buy insurance did you just ask for minimum coverage? If yes, then the insurance company did what you asked.

However, if you asked for full coverage and they said you do not need it, then you may have a case against your agent.

When you purchased the car, did your credit union documents note that you must have collision/comprehensive coverage on the car while the loan is still active?

Have you contacted the insurance carrier for the other driver? Have they accepted liability? If no, then you have an uphill battle. You will still need to keep paying the car loan in order to avoid credit problems and still try to fight to get your car fixed or paid for by the other insurance carrier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">