• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have no auto insurance, was in accident, what are my options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Travis

I live in louisiana. I had an accident, in my brothers car. I had just bought it from him. Unfortunately, it wasnt placed in my name. The car had no insurance. The accident was a fender bender, but the man now claims he is having headaches, and it looks like he will sue. What should i do? Is there any way, i can put the blame on myself because i would rather have myself file bankruptcy than my brother. Im a college student with no money and my brother has a job where he doesnt make much maybe 25000 a year. What type of lawyer would defend me? Im in deep trouble so i need help. Any responses are welcome.

T

TimC

With my personal auto policy, I am automatically covered if I buy a new car for 30 days. In other words, if I am out driving around and see a car for sale by the side of the road, buy it, and drive it home, I am automatically covered on my existing policy.

Call your agent, but don't be too suprised if he does not offer this information. Ask the question theoretically, as oppsed to starting right off with "I was just in an accident".

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Since the State recognizes the car as still being owned by your brother, and since you were the one driving the car, and since both of you didn't have insurance on the car, can you say: "We're both screwed" ?

The old man has Causes of Action against both of you.

IAAL

T

Travis

So there is no way, i can shoulder the blame, since i had the accident? There is no way, i can prove, i purchased the vehicle from him, and unfortunately, wouldnt be able to put the car in my name until january. He is not protected in any way? What is the difference, in someone stealing the car and then hitting someone else? Would the blame still be on him??? I am willing to shoulder the bankruptcy, i dont want him to have to file it.

T

TimC

Why would you have to declare bankruptcy? There is no requirement that says you have to file for bankruptcy when you cause a car accident. Do you know for a fact that personal injury judgements are dischargable in your state? Do you know that filing for bankruptcy in order to defraud the alleged victim is illegal?

I guess if your brother reported the car stolen then liability might shift to you, as well as the Grand Theft Auto charge. Of course, manipulating the law in order to avoid due process is quite risky.

Also, why would you want to try to shaft the guy that you hit with the car? You already have caused him enough grief. If things are as you say, the guy is entitled to a fair amount of compensation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">