• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He was 16 at the time of accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rshaw46

What is the name of your state? Maryland, but accident in Pennsylvania
My son was 16 at the time of the accident. Today he got the Civil action papers and is being sued. He is 18 now. can he be sued since he was a minor at the time of the accident. He was on my insurance, but my name is not on the papers. Also, the amount is $75,000 and she is suing for prior conditions made worse by the accident. We have $100K coverage but Insurance says they won't pay more than $17K. can they do this? I have been paying for this insurance for 35 years. How can they not pay what I am covered for?

stephenk

To answer your questions:

Yes your son can be sued since he was driving your car.

You do not necessarily have to be sued if there is no issue regarding your son's use of the car. Your son will be covered under your policy.

Just because a person sues for a certain sum of money does not mean the case is actually worth that amount. your insurance company is taking a position that the value of the case is not more that 17K. That position may change during the course of discovery during the lawsuit, up or down.

Your insurance company will pay up to the policy limits. You should direct your questions to the claims adjuster or the attorney that is going to represent your son.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">