• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He hit my car and lied!!! help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sparkle24u

What is the name of your state? Florida 11:45 PM

A man hit my car and lied when the officer arrived. He got away with it. Please help me out.

I was in a left turning lane that had two lanes. I was in the far left (the one closest to the median) There was a huge Dodge Truck a little bit ahead of me in the far-right left turning lane. Before I even started to turn left, this truck started to merge into my lane, within a second he had hit me. It was almost as though he was going to make a U turn! I drive a black Acura, Integra and I imagine he didn't see me, maybe I was in his blind spot when he looked in his mirror. Who knows... Anyway, I was very upset and ran out to see the damage. It was horrible, I need a new passager side door, lower fender, and he took out the mirror too. Guess what. He has NO damage!!!! Thats right 0 damage. This is because he had one of those big metal bars that go across the front and side of huge trucks. I moved my car to get out of the intersection (mistake # 1) and no witnesses stoped. I didn't think to do any of these things at the time.

When I pulled into a parking lot, he followed and a 58 year old man ran out of his car. He said he was sorry and asked if we (me and my passanger) were ok. Then he said he had his insurance information. I said that I was going to call the police. When he heard this he got very anger and said "They will give me a ticket!" NO exaggeration.

I was very upset, but I felt ok because I knew it was his fault and he even admitted it. When the police arrived me and my passanger proceeded to briefly explain what happened. When the officer came back from speaking with the man who hit my car, the officer said, "he has a different story." I asked what it was and he said "he said you hit him." SHOCKED I tried to explain how was that possible when I was turning left! I cant turn right in a left hand turn! annnnd I hadn't even started to turn until he hit me. I couldn't talk anymore so my passanger took over trying to convince the officer that this was no way possible. The officer only said that because there is no evidence of who hit who, then he cant do anything about it. The evidence is that I have Obvious terrible damage from an IMpact. Someone had to have forcefully hit me for this amount of damage.

I asked the officer if I would be able to go to court and he said this. "They will probably fine you 500 dollars for waisting their time." This was the type of person I was dealing with. He did an exchange of information and "not a full report." something of that nature.

The next day I called his insurance company to file a claim. They couldn't get a hold of him for about a week and then finally when they did, he still did not admit fault. They told me to get an estimate from a place they recommended. 3,500 dollars. Let me also add in the officer only valued it to be 1,000 dollars. 3,500 dollars is how much my car is worth. I can't believe it. The person that is handeling my claim is now in the process of getting a copy of the police report as his last attempt. This, I know will not help because the officer didn't decide who hit who.

Let me also add, I don't have collison. I am a 19 year old female in college. I was driving home from the movies in no rush a week before christmas, two days after my birthday, and someone hits my car. I feel that I was taken advantage of. If I was a 45 year old male, then I don't believe I would be in this position.

If I don't get half of this, I cannot settle with it. Do I have a case that I could take to court? Is there anything else I can do?

The damage is very obvious and very bad, even more so since he has non. I have a passanger and he didn't.

Isn't there a professional that can analyze the damage on my vehicle and find the point of impact and such?

Please help me... I am at a loss... I didn't do a thing at all...

teflon_jones

Your post is confusing. Is his insurance company offering to pay for your damages? Is that the $3500 figure?

Regardless, call your insurance company and let them handle this for you. They're not going to want to pay any claim, and have people on their staff that will fight this for you (and more importantly, for them!).

sparkle24u

No collision

I dont have collision so it is not my insurance companies problem. They wont have to pay a dime.

I am waiting to see if his insurance company will pay half, which may be unlikely. But if not or any, would I have a chance in court? Is there anything I can do that I haven't already done?

Lynx 36

This is almost the same situation as the other one.
Let me ask this. Were there any witnesses that saw this?

Not so long ago when people saw an accident they used to stop and give a statement. Now they just drive on by.

USXoxol

I had a very similar situation, but as I realized after court hearing on my case as long as the other driver lies and there're no witnesses (not biased as your passenger is usually considered) chances of winning the case are poor..
Sorry..

sparkle24u

Thanks nanall for getting the post going again.

No there were no witnesses. Advice for anyone- Please stop when you see an accident. You have no idea how 3 words might change someones life. "She didn't do it."

It's a relief to hear of someone in the same situation. So, thanks for posting at least. Maybe I will actually start sleeping at night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">