• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Head on Collision - Good first offer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krwshl

This occured in Illinois. Over the summer I was a passenger in a vehicle that was struck head on by another vehicle at 45mph. The car that hit us crossed over a median ... all of us were taken to the hospital by an ambulance. All of my damages were soft tissue and my shoulder still hurts. I have went to 2 months of physical therapy and may need to go back.
My total medical bills are $8400 and my lost wages were nearly $1600. My attorney sent all this info to the at fault party's insurance company and they offered me $22,000 (my bills and wages are included) with fees I will likely get around $10,000 for pain and suffering. I thought this number seemed a bit low for all I went through, is this a decent first offer? How much is a insurance company likely to negotiate ... I have 1.5 years left due to the S.O.L. Is it worth taking it to court? I figured if nothing else we could file suit in order to try to scare the insurance company?
Any input is greatly appreciated

Shay-Pari'e

krwshl said:
This occured in Illinois. Over the summer I was a passenger in a vehicle that was struck head on by another vehicle at 45mph. The car that hit us crossed over a median ... all of us were taken to the hospital by an ambulance. All of my damages were soft tissue and my shoulder still hurts. I have went to 2 months of physical therapy and may need to go back.
My total medical bills are $8400 and my lost wages were nearly $1600. My attorney sent all this info to the at fault party's insurance company and they offered me $22,000 (my bills and wages are included) with fees I will likely get around $10,000 for pain and suffering. I thought this number seemed a bit low for all I went through, is this a decent first offer? How much is a insurance company likely to negotiate ... I have 1.5 years left due to the S.O.L. Is it worth taking it to court? I figured if nothing else we could file suit in order to try to scare the insurance company?
Any input is greatly appreciated
I don't see the problem with their fair offer at all.I don't see it worth your time, as you may get less.

Last edited:

krwshl

I guess I thought one should receive 3 times specials, not including lost wages. After lost wages I am looking at $8400 in pain and suffering ... I am just wondering if my attorney is doing a good job. He is supposed to be the best around, I wonder if he is slacking.

Shay-Pari'e

krwshl said:
sounds like my attorney did a good job then, i appreciate your help
And your welcome, take the offer, it is more than fair and you could be looking at nothing if you push it.

Good Luck.

krwshl

I called my family doctor and think I am going to see an orthopedist before thinking about settling. If I do have more problems I would like to know now before settling and if so I would hope that my pain and suffering increases.

krwshl

A friend told me to wait it out anyways because insurance companies do not like having open cases. I was told, not sure how true, that it is likely that the insurance company would bump it up just if I wait it out ... any validity to that?

Lynx 36

Quote: " I was told, not sure how true, that it is likely that the insurance company would bump it up just if I wait it out ... any validity to that?"

No.

xueguochen

good

Have you ever been China ?

Do you interest in Chinese culture?
Now , Here is a new way to China.
Welcome to:

www.gogodig.com

Register now and get more free gifts.
Get here , get to China :)

Gogodig

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">