• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with 15 yr old son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

elite222

We live in Nebraska and my 15 year old son (Greg) has recently got into an accident with a friends (Becky's mothers) car, and I'm curious as to my first step.
Scenario:
Becky loaned Greg her mothers car since her Mom was out of town, without her moms knowledge.
Greg who has only a drivers permit got into a single car accident.
Police gave Greg a Negligent Driving ticket and impounded car.
Damage was approx. $3000 to a 04 Santa Fa, mail box, electric crew needed to be called about a downed power line, but the pole didn't sustain any damage.

The police officer told me that when Mom comes back in town that she may press charges for stolen vehicle against my son even though her daughter loaned my son the car. Daughters name isn't on the title.

Should I get a lawyer? Wouldn't her auto insurance cover this since insurance follows the vehicle? Of course the insurance company will probably come after us after that, don't you think? Any help as to what to expect would be greatly appreciated.... Court date is 12/6/04

BelizeBreeze

elite222 said:
We live in Nebraska and my 15 year old son (Greg) has recently got into an accident with a friends (Becky's mothers) car, and I'm curious as to my first step.
Scenario:
Becky loaned Greg her mothers car since her Mom was out of town, without her moms knowledge.
Greg who has only a drivers permit got into a single car accident.
Police gave Greg a Negligent Driving ticket and impounded car.
Damage was approx. $3000 to a 04 Santa Fa, mail box, electric crew needed to be called about a downed power line, but the pole didn't sustain any damage.

The police officer told me that when Mom comes back in town that she may press charges for stolen vehicle against my son even though her daughter loaned my son the car. Daughters name isn't on the title.

Should I get a lawyer? Wouldn't her auto insurance cover this since insurance follows the vehicle? Of course the insurance company will probably come after us after that, don't you think? Any help as to what to expect would be greatly appreciated.... Court date is 12/6/04
Get son an attorney, get your checkbook out and then give son a "Come to Jesus" meeting. He just screwed you royally.

E

elite222

Can she actually press charges against my son for a stolen vehicle even though her daughter said it was okay?

You don't think insurance will cover any of this?

r2lrn

To not make this any worse, I would see about negotiating something with your son's friends mom. Otherwise since the daughter had no right to lend the car to your son both are in trouble, but the daughters mom can hide this or the daughter can deny ever giving permission to your son & it would be your sons word against her daughter. I would listen to what BelizeBreeze said.

Most likely the only way the insurance would cover this is if she reports the car stolen and if she has insurance for that. Then it puts your son in trouble. Again either negotiate something with the mom or get a lawyer for this situation.

E

elite222

I appreciate your help :)
Last night we talked to the people that owned the car and their insurance is going to cover it, but I'm sure after court they will come after us. We are going to give them a check this weekend to cover the towing, storage, and deductible My question is do you think we should notify my insurance company of this?
We carry Homeowners, cars, boat, umbrella all with American Family Insurance.

djohnson

Keep in mind also, you may have more charges coming from the 'downed electric lines' and mailbox and other damaged property. The friends mom isn't the only people you will be having to deal with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">