• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help??!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

allante

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?maryland

about a year ago i met a nice girl and we began a relationship. about six months into it her car broke down. she later found that it would cost too much to get it fixed so she decided to purchase a new one. she went to a local "second-chance" dealer and purchased a car. she made her own down payment and drove the car home that day. about one week later the dealer called and said the bank refused to allow her to keep the car in her own name. they said she either needed to put more money down or come up with a co-signer. she is a single mom living just above the poverty line. i felt bad for her but didnt have another $1000 to put out, because i had just purchased my own new vehicle. at her request i went with her back to the dealership to see what...if anything...i could do to help. well, the finance manager explained that she would still be the primary owner...but that my name would just be added on to in their words "make the bank happy." after much deliberation...i reluctantly agreed to co-sign. since that time...our relationship has deteriorated and my credit has gone to hell in a handbasket over this issue.

as luck would have it i have found that my "soon to be ex" is not at all who she pretended to be. she is selfish, manipulative and i have found that she has a history of using ppl. by her own admission, she has pulled this same stunt in previous relationships and ends up either leaving the guy after she gets what she wants...or she simply has made other cars "disappear" (torching or having it stolen) for insurance money. the registration & title has BOTH our names on it. however, the bank who is financing the car has me listed as the primary owner and her only as an "authorized contact".

the bottom line is that i got screwed. i want my name off this car at any and all cost. its has become the tie that is bonding me to a very evil person for the next four years. she has attempted to trade the car in but cant find a bank that wil float her another loan. meanwhile, i have a sinking feeling that she intends to skip town with the car, and pull one of her insurance scams again. so my question is...what legal recourse do i have? please help guys. i'm really in a jam here.

A

allante

neither...it simply lists both are names without indicating an "AND" or an "OR". its written like this:

"jane doe"
"johnny appleseed"
1234 anywhere lane
made up town usa 55555

BelizeBreeze

Then you can either go get the car and sell it, wait until she does something stupid and be on the hook or you can go to an attorney and ask their opinion on repossession.

A

allante

ok...lets assume we own the car jointly. i cant lie...she has been making the monthly note. i made roughly two. but we are getting to a point where we need to sever all ties...and i dont want someone knocking on my door in four years saying they found the car at the bottom of a lake and that i still owe thousands on it. do i have a right to obtain it (i have my own key) and sell it without her consent? and assuming i did that...what do i owe her in terms of financial compensation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">