• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fresno

What is the name of your state? California.

My wife was injured in a traffic accident in March 2004. My insurance company paid to repair the vehicle. However I still have a balance of $289.
for rental I paid over the 60 days allowed by the policy.

Question: Can I recover funds? The repair took 60 days and my rental coverage was for 30.

Now her injuries of Whiplash and Fractured collarbone have accumulutated up to $2,800 and they have offered $500 over that.

Question: Is it advicesable to request a copy of the other drivers declaration who hit my wife and admitted 100% fault before we negotiate? What is the customery pay out in this type of case?

Any additional help greatly appreciated.......

Lynx 36

Quote: "Question: Can I recover funds? The repair took 60 days and my rental coverage was for 30."

No. The policy is written f/ 30 days car rental. That is all the coverage you purchased, and that is all your insurance company is obligated to pay.

Quote: "Now her injuries of Whiplash and Fractured collarbone have accumulutated up to $2,800 and they have offered $500 over that.

Who is they?

Fresno

:(
Lynx 36 said:
Quote: "Question: Can I recover funds? The repair took 60 days and my rental coverage was for 30."

No. The policy is written f/ 30 days car rental. That is all the coverage you purchased, and that is all your insurance company is obligated to pay.

Quote: "Now her injuries of Whiplash and Fractured collarbone have accumulutated up to $2,800 and they have offered $500 over that.

Who is they?
They are the other insurance company. I have been told that 3x the medical bills is the customery settlement, is that true?

JETX

Fresno said:
I have been told that 3x the medical bills is the customery settlement, is that true?
Not any longer. The insurance company's have gotten a lot more aggressive in their settlement offers. Simply, negotiate the best you can and if you don't agree, then you may have to talk with a local attorney.

teflon_jones

Take whatever you can get over your costs. The USA is increasingly a sue-happy place an insurance companies are willing to pay less and less! Unless you have concrete proof on ongoing and/or permanent problems due to the accident, take what they offer.

Fresno

JETX said:
Not any longer. The insurance company's have gotten a lot more aggressive in their settlement offers. Simply, negotiate the best you can and if you don't agree, then you may have to talk with a local attorney.
Thanks for your help, do you know what year :( they became aggressive?

Fresno

teflon_jones said:
Take whatever you can get over your costs. The USA is increasingly a sue-happy place an insurance companies are willing to pay less and less! Unless you have concrete proof on ongoing and/or permanent problems due to the accident, take what they offer.
That's what suprises me, you would think they would want to settle at my level at any cost, so I would not take the next step and get an attorney....

Lynx 36

Quote: "That's what suprises me, you would think they would want to settle at my level at any cost, so I would not take the next step and get an attorney...."

At any cost!? There is no standard 3x, 5x, or whatever anymore. The reason insurance companies don't offer this is obviously they have won numerous court cases. If they haven't then they would be offering higher punitive damage awards. Also, just b/c you get an atty doesn't mean you will get any more money than they offered. You may get more, you may even get less.

So it sounds like they are offering to pay your meds and give you $3,300 f/ pain and suffering correct? If you get an atty the insurance company will probably lower their offer to $500 or $1,000. Then your atty will have to negotiate or sue to attempt to get more. Don't forget your atty will take 1/3, and if it goes to trial they take 40%.

The only reason they're offering that is b/c of your collarbone being broke. Whiplash is not worth anything. Maybe a couple hundred bucks. If your feeling fine this is a reasonable offer.

Now f/ the next contestant on "The Insurance Lottery", step right up and spin the wheel!!! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">