• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jrobhair

i was involved in an accident approx. a year ago with a friends vehicle. he told me that his insurance was going to take care of it. When he found out that his insurance had been cancelled he he came to me to pay for it. i told him i couldn't (i didn't have the money) he said "ok" just sign this: a document that said i would pay him for the vehicle. it was not witnessed nor notorized. am i legaly obligated to pay for the damages?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jrobhair said:
i was involved in an accident approx. a year ago with a friends vehicle. he told me that his insurance was going to take care of it. When he found out that his insurance had been cancelled he he came to me to pay for it. i told him i couldn't (i didn't have the money) he said "ok" just sign this: a document that said i would pay him for the vehicle. it was not witnessed nor notorized. am i legaly obligated to pay for the damages?
My response:

Yes. Even if you didn't sign a paper saying you would pay for repairs, you'd still be responsible. The fact remains that you damaged someone else's property as a result of your negligence. The paper was merely an extra piece of "insurance" for the car owner.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">